Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Sounds like you don't know how visual effects are supposed to be like. The best visual effects are the ones you don't notice. There's a saying in the effects industry, that when you can't even tell what is a visual effect and what is real, then they visual effects team did a good job.TDKR had plenty of visual effects, but they don't look like effects. That is the point. The exact same thing was true of TDK, plenty of effects, but most people didn't even notice what scenes had effects.

What did they do with fx? Remove people from the frame? Add some falling snow? Oh how amazing. Why should it be nominated for best fx if it doesnt do anything remarkable with them?Snow White at least had some impressive CG imagery
  • Like 1

Not wise, my friend...

Just like betting against Judy Davis in 1993 was not wise either.Or betting agains Saving Private Ryan.I think DDL played a great role, but Cooper did better. And I'm feeling really confident about it.

For example, here are all the films that got nominated in the BIG FIVE (BP, BD, Lead Acting, and Screenplay):It Happened One NightOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's NestThe Silence of the LambsGone with the WindMrs. MiniverAnnie HallAmerican BeautyFrom Here to EternityThe ApartmentNetworkComing HomeOn Golden PondMillion Dollar BabyCimarronThe Philadelphia StoryGentleman's AgreementA Place in the SunThe Country GirlRoom at the TopGuess Who's Coming to DinnerThe Lion in WinterRockyThe English PatientA Star is BornGoodbye Mr. ChipsRebeccaJohnny BelindaSunset BoulevardA Streetcar Named DesireWho's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?The GraduateChinatownRedsCat on a Hot Tin RoofThe HustlerBonnie and ClydeLove StoryLennyAtlantic CityThe Remains of the DaySilver Linings Playbook41 films have done that feat. 15 ended up winning Best Picture, slightly over 1/3.

One problem. I asked aobut BP BD Lead Actor and Actress and Supporting Actor and Actress plus Screenplay. Also, editing is a somewhat major cat, but we can ignore that. How many films have got all the acting noms locked up plus pic, director and BP?Nonetheless, SLP looks to be in good company.
  • Like 1

For example, here are all the films that got nominated in the BIG FIVE (BP, BD, Lead Acting, and Screenplay):It Happened One NightOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's NestThe Silence of the LambsGone with the WindMrs. MiniverAnnie HallAmerican BeautyFrom Here to EternityThe ApartmentNetworkComing HomeOn Golden PondMillion Dollar BabyCimarronThe Philadelphia StoryGentleman's AgreementA Place in the SunThe Country GirlRoom at the TopGuess Who's Coming to DinnerThe Lion in WinterRockyThe English PatientA Star is BornGoodbye Mr. ChipsRebeccaJohnny BelindaSunset BoulevardA Streetcar Named DesireWho's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?The GraduateChinatownRedsCat on a Hot Tin RoofThe HustlerBonnie and ClydeLove StoryLennyAtlantic CityThe Remains of the DaySilver Linings Playbook41 films have done that feat. 15 ended up winning Best Picture, slightly over 1/3.

This list is not true. SLP got nominated for all acting, director and picture. Those films you list there did not......maybe a few of them only.
  • Like 1

Just like betting against Judy Davis in 1993 was not wise either.Or betting agains Saving Private Ryan.I think DDL played a great role, but Cooper did better. And I'm feeling really confident about it.

Also it is hard as hell to win #3. Just ask Meryl Streep.
  • Like 2

And ANNA KARENINA FOR CINEMATOGRAPHY!!! I totally thought they were gonna snub it.

I'm actually thinking it might win (deservedly). Skyfall won't win bc it's Deakins. Django (unworthy anyway) won't win bc he just did last year. Pi will be like tree of life. Lincoln is blah. They need to award a newcomer, and Seamus is so talented.
  • Like 1

These are the films with nominations in all four acting categories, BP, BD, Screenplay:Mrs. MiniverJohnny BelindaSunset BoulevardA Streetcar Named DesireFrom Here to EternityWho's Afraid of Virginia WoolfBonne and ClydeGuess Who's Coming to DinnerNetworkComing HomeRedsSilver Linings Playbook12 films, 2 of which won BP in the end. That's a 1/6 success rate.

• Like 1