Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

I've literally just seen the full list of nominations - my analysis:

Posted Image

WHAT THE FUCKING SHITHEAD FUCK? HOW DOES FLIGHT GET IN FOR SCREENPLAY OVER THE MASTER??? THAT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE!!!! ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

I knew you'd get fucking pissed :lol:

With JLaw's SNL hosting on the way as well and possible Golden Globes win, SLP is in for a good box office run. People who were complaining why SLP didn't get a wide release from the get-go will likely realize it was a wise decision from Weinstein since he let Les Mis and Django pass (and to some degree Zero Dark Thirty). Hate him or love him we can't deny how good he is as a strategist

Yep, I was one of the many bitching at them but they clearly knew what they were doing. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:With the WOM and the noms, it should pass 100M.

Did you not like SLP? You seem to have something against it.

I have not seen it yet, though not for lack of trying.I'm a believer in statistics and trends, and though SLP did remarkable with its nomination haul, the statistics and trends of the Oscar race remain on Lincoln's side. Now that may change if SLP surprises at the big guilds, but that's all in the future for now.

My predictions for the major categories:

Picture

Lincoln

Alt: Life of Pi

Director

Ang Lee

Alt: Steven Spielberg

Ori. Script

Amour

Alt: Django Unchained

Ada. Script

Silver Linings Playbook

Alt: Lincoln

Actor

Daniel Day-Lewis

Alt: Bradley Cooper

Actress

Jennifer Lawrence

Alt: Emmanuelle Riva

Sup. Actor

Robert De Niro

Alt: Tommy Lee Jones

Sup. Actress

Anne Hathaway

Alt: Sally Field

• Like 1

I wonder about awards like fx and sound etc. Is there an unwritten (or written) rule that films still have to be good to get nominated?Like for example, if That's my Boy had had amazing costumes all round, would it ever have got nominated, or is an at least basic level of film quality a prerequisite?Personally I feel the situation could be argued both ways as a film like TDAT has amazing nomination worth effects, but at the same time it would be a crime for it to be able to plaster "Academy Award Winning' on its DVD cover when potentially the second best film of the year cannot.

• Like 1

So people have commented on no Best Director for Ben & Kath Big....* but also no Best Director for QT - still not getting respect > So did he deserve one?* Also, noticed that they only nominated 9 for Best Picture is that a slight against any film, Skyfall?, or just saying there were lots of choices for the 10th spot???PS - Someone on TV commented that the Director Choices were so different for DGA noms???

I have not seen it yet, though not for lack of trying.I'm a believer in statistics and trends, and though SLP did remarkable with its nomination haul, the statistics and trends of the Oscar race remain on Lincoln's side. Now that may change if SLP surprises at the big guilds, but that's all in the future for now.

I'm definitely not arguing with you as you have a very good chance of being right. And normally I'd be on your side as well as SS is of course my fave director of all time. I just think SLP (besides being imo one of the three best films of the year) is the kind of film the academy loves. And because of this I think it has an excellent chance of winning. I wouldn't mind seeing Spielberg win mind you. Payback for his snubs from years ago.

* Also, noticed that they only nominated 9 for Best Picture is that a slight against any film, Skyfall?, or just saying there were lots of choices for the 10th spot???

It means that after using the Academy's preferential voting system, only 9 films had more than 5% of the total first-place votes submitted by members for BP.

Okay, here goes nothingBEST PICTURE: Lincoln (Not jumping on the SLP bandwagon yet)BEST ACTOR: Daniel Day Lewis for LincolnBEST ACTRESS: Jennifer Lawrence for SLPBEST DIRECTOR: Steven Spielberg for LincolnBEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Tommy Lee Jones for LincolnBEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Anne Hathaway for Les MiserablesBEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Silver Linings PlaybookBEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Django UnchainedBEST ANIMATED FILM: FrankenweenieBEST FOREIGN FILM: A Royal AffairBEST DOCUMENTARY: The Invisible WarBEST SONG: Chasing IceBEST SCORE: Anna KareninaBEST ART DIRECTION: Anna KareninaBEST COSTUMES: Anna KareninaBEST SOUND EDITING: SkyfallBEST SOUND MIXING: SkyfallBEST MAKEUP: HitchcockBEST EDITING: Zero Dark ThirtyBEST SFX: Life of Pi

• Like 1

I'm definitely not arguing with you as you have a very good chance of being right. And normally I'd be on your side as well as SS is of course my fave director of all time. I just think SLP (besides being imo one of the three best films of the year) is the kind of film the academy loves. And because of this I think it has an excellent chance of winning. I wouldn't mind seeing Spielberg win mind you. Payback for his snubs from years ago.

I aim to see SLP (and ZD30) this weekend finally and I may end up loving it (especially because of the Philadelphia Eagles angle). But I try to stay as objective as possible when it comes to Oscar since the alternative is ending up a total nutcase like bloggers Sasha Stone or Jeff Wells. Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

I wonder about awards like fx and sound etc. Is there an unwritten (or written) rule that films still have to be good to get nominated?Like for example, if That's my Boy had had amazing costumes all round, would it ever have got nominated, or is an at least basic level of film quality a prerequisite?Personally I feel the situation could be argued both ways as a film like TDAT has amazing nomination worth effects, but at the same time it would be a crime for it to be able to plaster "Academy Award Winning' on its DVD cover when potentially the second best film of the year cannot.

Adam Sandler's Click was panned but still got a nod for Make Up. Norbit as well. So for some tech categories overall quality of the movie does not matter as long as the specific craft is good enough