Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Right. When deciding which is a tougher film, I think Compliance wins since it's basically a 90 minute act of sex abuse.... Now that I think about Compliance I'm sad Ann Dowd didn't get in. It was never going to happen, but still. :(

Dreama walker was good too I'm used to her being on apartment 23.

What an idiot. I guess Django is pro slavery and The Dark Knight Rises is pro steroid-induced-gigantic-mask-wearing-speech-problem-bad guys.

Yeha, it`s really idiotic to say that depiction = endorsement.That said, I honestly cannot imagine a scenario where the studio and film-makers did not hope for some controversy. Movies like this trive on it otherwise they would fly under the radar. Controversy is free press and generate interest. It`s just that they didn`t count on Bigelow splitting votes with Affleck.

They (ZDT's producers) thought the edgy angle, polemical torture depiction with Take-no-shit-faux-documentary-approach would be lauded by the academy but it backfired on their faces. And Bigelow took the toll but not her toyboy...

How exactly did it backfire?

IMO, what really backfired was critic`s attempt to drown Argo and crown ZDT as the winner. That created illusion that Bigelow was a strong contender whereas in reality she obviously took some votes from Affleck and earned some of her own but not enough to make the cut. Likewise, Affleck wasn`t as strong to begin with as his post-TIFF success suggested.The bottom line is - critics don`t vote. Audiences don`t vote. BAFTA doesn`t vote. Not all PGA, DGA and SAG members make AMPAS. Critics awards and boxoffice mean less and less. I don`t know if preferential system of voting is creating this but A&B obivously couldn`t get enough #1 votes for whatever reason and most logical reason of all is that voters liked other movies better hence placing them and their directors at #1. Simple. No conspiracy. It`s a nice face-saving to say that Bigelow was snubbed for political reasons - as in evil AMPAS voters decided her fate on a super-secret meeting where they swore on the Ernest Borgnine skull to purge Oscars of women, gays, Tea Party-leanings,etc - but that isn`t how the system works. especially since another locked and loaded director missed the spot without any controversy. If the world is out to get Bigelow then they are out to get Affleck too.Put 2 and 2 together. They cancelled each other out. Both peaked too early. Simple.

Edited by fishnets

Apparently Seth got some flack for announcing the nominees the way he did and some people thought he wasn't funny.... I thought he was about as funny as you could possibly hope for for the Oscars. And I didn't think any of the jokes were belittling or insulting...

• Like 1