Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

Besides the obvious lacking of taste, :P what do you think of Kubrick?

Some interesting little stories about Kubrick from the Shining:Stephen King was first approached by Stanley Kubrick about making a film version of 'The Shining' via an early morning phone call (England is five hours ahead of Maine in time zones). King, suffering from a hangover, shaving and at first thinking one of his kids was injured, was shocked when his wife told him Kubrick was really on the phone. King recalled that the first thing Kubrick did was to immediately start talking about how optimistic ghost stories are, because they suggest that humans survive death. "What about hell?" King asked. Kubrick paused for several moments before finally replying, "I don't believe in hell." There is a great deal of confusion regarding this film and the number of retakes of certain scenes. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the scene where Wendy is backing up the stairs swinging the baseball bat was shot 127 times, which is a record for the most takes of a single scene. However, both Steadicam operator Garrett Brown and assistant editor Gordon Stainforth say this is inaccurate - the scene was shot about 35-45 times. Brown does say however that the scene where Hallorann explains to Danny what shining is was shot 148 times, which is a world record. (I think I'd lose my fucking mind shooting a scene 145 times)

Baumer, didn't Kubrick orchestrate the moon landing? I've heard something like that

No idea.....lolBut Bruckheimer helped with the Jessica Lynch video....true story. Edited by baumer

No idea.....lol

Dude, I was so sure you had heard of that, you being the conspiracy theory-expert around here. It has been said that NASA approached Kubrick to film the 'moon landing' when 2001 was in post-production. Its one of the most popular conspiracy theories about the 'moon landing'.

Dude, I was so sure you had heard of that, you being the conspiracy theory-expert around here.It has been said that NASA approached Kubrick to film the 'moon landing' when 2001 was in post-production. Its one of the most popular conspiracy theories about the 'moon landing'.

Nah, Baumer believes in the moon landing. He just thinks 9/11 was staged and Osama's death wasn't real.

I don't get The Master hate. If you know anything about L. Ron Hubbard, chances are you would have a greater appreciation for the film. Anyway, the acting was superb, so nominations were due there. I also think the directing was great, but I think a lot of people just don't appreciate the script. But, with time, this film will be more well-regarded, I think.

I don't get The Master hate. If you know anything about L. Ron Hubbard, chances are you would have a greater appreciation for the film. Anyway, the acting was superb, so nominations were due there. I also think the directing was great, but I think a lot of people just don't appreciate the script. But, with time, this film will be more well-regarded, I think.

Except the movie never sells the idea why some cults may be compelling to some people.Everything that is coming out of SPH's character's mouth is ludicorus and not inticing at all.If I met the guy, I would laugh at him, not be fascinated and tempted to join.L Ron Hubbard had that power, The Master is a joke next to him, a poor alcolohic who plays with his new monkey to parade.The movie tells the tale of the meeting of two pathetic human beings and that s about it.No wonder Tom Cruise saw the movie and wasn't bothered by it, it is just so harmless on so many levels.And Amy Adams looked constipated the whole time. What was that about, a bad burrito ?All the actors had that look : "I know I am doing a genious movie with a genious director who is more brilliant than me but I really don't know what my character is doing in this scene or the meaning of the scene. I just don't have a freaking clue! But I ll give my all coz it must be sooooo deeeeeep it boggles the mind !"But it s PTA, so it must be so relevant to the human condition that my mind can't get around such genious philosophical rhetorics. Edited by The Futurist