BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

and the rising admissions at the end of last century? multiplexes?

The difference is that in 90s the only way to see movies was in cinema or 6 months later on VHS. Today you can have the movie at home the opening weekend.

Also, was the economy in the shitter as much in the 90's as now? I would imagine not.

Exactly, the economy is worse than 20 years ago. Today we've known that the unemployment has officially reached 5.6 million (24.44%). We have the highest unemployment rate of OECD countries. And youth unemployment is higher than 50%. This could be the main reason that blockbusters are not making as high numbers as they used. And the main reason why Intouchables (beyond its quality) is the highest grossing movie (to date) this year: it's a movie aimed to a more adult public. Young people can't go to movies as usually as last years Edited by peludo

It's a combination of all those factors.

No doubt about that, but I think the rise of the importance of the internet is at the moment the driving factor everywhere as was the rise of TV in the 50s, 60s and 70s depending on where you lived.

Boxoffice.es is predicting a smaller OW for The Avengers than the one Thor had 1 year ago. WTF is wrong with them? Thor was the biggest avenger in Spain, but still, that is just ridiculous! I see €4.1M OW and €10.5M total in Spain.

Well OD looking like being over $eu1.3mil which is over 40% higher than Thor's OD

Provisional weekend numbers in €1.- The Avengers 5,200,000 NEW2.- The hunger games 1,620,000 (2)3.- Intouchable 750,000 (8)4.- The Pelayos 550,000 NEW5.- Salmon fishing Yemen 410,000 (2)

Provisional weekend numbers in €1.- The Avengers 5,200,000 NEW2.- The hunger games 1,620,000 (2)3.- Intouchable 750,000 (8)4.- The Pelayos 550,000 NEW5.- Salmon fishing Yemen 410,000 (2)

Amazing for The Avengers. I wouldn't imagine it. Intouchables higher than last weekend (695,000) :)