Neo

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch | Nov. 9 2018

22 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

"Hmm, I wonder if there's a pop song"

*Happy plays in the first 25 seconds*

OH FUCK OFF ILLUMINATI

I got a feeling the only way to stop  Illumination films is drive a wooden stake through their freaking heart.

36 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I disagree. DId not care for the Carrey film much, but at least they stuck to the  book, and did not create an "Origin Story" for the Grinch.

I just really hate Jim Carrey Grich. Such an awful film. Maybe this will be worse, but the trailer at least made it seem like it wasn’t going to be as bad. Will probably just be a forgettable movie that I watch once and never think about again.  

So I saw WiT in a packed theater with a lot of kids in the audience and there was dead silence for the entirety of this trailer. Not even so much as a chuckle. Even more disconcerting when you factor in that the Gnomes trailer that played before it got plenty of laughs from kids. :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

So I saw WiT in a packed theater with a lot of kids in the audience and there was dead silence for the entirety of this trailer. Not even so much as a chuckle. Even more disconcerting when you factor in that the Gnomes trailer that played before it got plenty of laughs from kids. :ph34r:

I kinda had a feeling this would happen. While I was watching the trailer, this didn't seem to have any of the potential big laughs Illumination's other teasers had. I don't know if it's an editing issue, but none of the gags seemed like stuff that would land with a crowd, unlike the trailers for Pets or DM3. Of course, there's still plenty more months, so maybe the next bits of marketing will improve.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I kinda had a feeling this would happen. While I was watching the trailer, this didn't seem to have any of the potential big laughs Illumination's other teasers had. I don't know if it's an editing issue, but none of the gags seemed like stuff that would land with a crowd, unlike the trailers for Pets or DM3. Of course, there's still plenty more months, so maybe the next bits of marketing will improve.

I'm thinking WiR2 may end up beating this now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

People doubting Illumination?

They never learn...

Yeah.

Disney/Pixar-only lovers. (Don’t judge me) :ph34r:

That’s why Coco is not the highest animated grosser of 2017, despite critical acclaim. In fact, DM3 is the first Non-Disney/Pixar animated film in a long while to win it’s year both DOM & WW, since Dreamworks’s Shrek the Third back in 2007. Since then it was always Disney/Pixar to win either DOM or WW.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

The trailer is underwhelming. I also don't like the fact that Illumination's style graphics-wise is the same across all their movies. Their movies are like from a single universe. lol Not to mention the fact that this looks like a Gru spinoff. I am not a fan of WRECK-IT RALPH either. The INCREDIBLES II is the only computer animated movie I am excited for this year.

• Like 1

Underwhelmed by the trailer. Looked like a DM reboot. Gru was very Grinch-like and one can imagine him doing every thing that you see in the trailer. Wakes up grumpy, eager to please Minion brings him coffee, he goes to the shop and pulls of the same shtick - smirk after breaking the glass, spitting in the bottle, etc. Then there's the girl who he tries to push away but grows fond of later on.

Spoiler

Will make a ton though.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

People doubting Illumination?

They never learn...

I've  always been the biggest Illumination proponent when it comes to box office. Predicted the likes of Lorax, DM2, Minions, and SLOP's huge performances when most were barely predicting half of what they made. But I did get a bit burned predicting 300+ for DM3 and moreover this is the first one of their's that I'm seeing a few red flags in the marketing. Combine that with an unusually competitive holiday season for family films and I wouldn't be shocked if this ends up "only" doing around 200 to become their lowest grosser. But there's also still plenty of time for them to turn things around with the ho-hum marketing, so it's not like this movie's fate is sealed yet or anything. They need to step it up and do better than that first trailer though, and I've never once said that about one of their marketing campaigns. 

• Like 2

The only good Seuss theatrical movie was Horton. Grinch 2000 is solid depending on who you ask (I kind of like it). The Lorax is bad and only good for memes. Cat in The Hat 2003 is shit. Grinch will definitely make money though. Thankfully it’s the last Illumination/Seuss collab.

Hopefully WAG does good with Cat in The Hat and the other Suess movies.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1