Impact

Best Actress-2013

Are we absolutely sure Amy Adams is supporting in Abscam? From the plot synopsis it sounds like she might be the second main character after Bale, or at least the third after Bale and Cooper. And we know for sure Lawrence is supporting, which means if they both deliver and Adams has enough screentime Sony might push her in lead.

They won't push her lead, the category's already too crowded.

It's easy for it to be crowded when we haven't seen almost any contenders yet. Adams' performance could end up being as much of a powerhouse as anyone else's, it could be received noticeably worse or noticeably better. We simply have no idea, and much stranger things have happened.

Adams isn't even 40 yet. To me it's ridiculous to think she won't win one day. It's not like she was ever the frontrunner who lost in a surprising upset - all 4 times she was good enough for a nomination but unfortunately had to deal with a more formidable contender(s). That can't go on forever, especially if she's not gonna slow down in the coming years in terms of giving quality performances.

Adams isn't even 40 yet. To me it's ridiculous to think she won't win one day. It's not like she was ever the frontrunner who lost in a surprising upset - all 4 times she was good enough for a nomination but unfortunately had to deal with a more formidable contender(s). That can't go on forever, especially if she's not gonna slow down in the coming years in terms of giving quality performances.

Sure it can. Quality doesn't really count, otherwise we'd have Academy Award Winners Annette Benning, Emmanuelle Riva, Glenn Close, Isabelle Adjani, Gabourey Sidibe, and etc. I think Hollywood'a developed a mindset since she's been nominated like 4 times in the past 8 years that she'll be back and so we don't have to give her the win just yet. Then one day it'll be too late. Also I think potentially they could develop the Meryl Mindset where they think a person has already won or has won much more than they actually have. Amy's definitely in danger of people going, "She's won already, hasn't she?"

I think Hollywood'a developed a mindset since she's been nominated like 4 times in the past 8 years that she'll be back and so we don't have to give her the win just yet. Then one day it'll be too late. 

And when will that be, when she's 70 and has a dozen nominations and no wins? I'm more inclined to put her in one camp with the likes of Kate Winslet and Shirley McLaine in a sense that one day they will just have no choice but to give it to her. She only has two nominations to go until she matches Deborah Kerr, Thelma Ritter and Glenn Close as the actress with most nominations without wins. In all likelihood, she'll receive those nominations before she's 45. Then she's got another 20+ potentially strong years ahead of her. I think Adams getting up on that stage is nothing but a matter of time.

I'm not so sure. Glenn got 5 noms in 8 years, and came pretty damn close to winning 2-3 times. Then she just disappeared for 25 years. I think Adams could follow a very similar trajectory. She's for no blockbusters or franchises, and she's at the point where small indie films think she's too expensive to cast and big studios think that she's not bankable and not winnable. It's a dangerous place she's in. I can easily see her sadly disappear off of the face of Hollywood quite soon.

She's for no blockbusters or franchises, 

...She's Lois Lane!

Why does her career have to be compared to these other actresses anyway? She's doing her own thing and discussing whether she's gonna be a Thelma Ritter or a Kate Winslet is stupid. Just wait and see where it goes guys! ;)

I'm not so sure. Glenn got 5 noms in 8 years, and came pretty damn close to winning 2-3 times. Then she just disappeared for 25 years. I think Adams could follow a very similar trajectory. She's for no blockbusters or franchises, and she's at the point where small indie films think she's too expensive to cast and big studios think that she's not bankable and not winnable. It's a dangerous place she's in. I can easily see her sadly disappear off of the face of Hollywood quite soon.

Then why is she in MOS

Well, based on Enchanted and The Muppets she could lead a Disney family film any time she wants to, and if Man of Steel is successful I imagine she'll be back in the sequel(s). While I agree that she's too big for indies now, I think she's built a good enough reputation for successful auteur filmmakers like DOR or PTA to come knocking on her door any time they have a part suitable for her. At some point, there should be a part that'll do the Oscar trick. Hell, if that Janis Joplin biopic she's signed up (rumored?) for gets going soon and ends up a good enough movie it would seem like a no-brainer to award her for it. 

Edited by Jake Gittes