baumer

Oz The Great and Powerful

61 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I love how Evanora, who relishes in all things evil, is like "Um, ok..."

I don't think Rachel was acting for that part.

Yeah it seemed off. Evanora never struck me as evil evil. She just seemed cunning and foxy and when the battle started she became a big fat coward. I was hoping her character would be completely evil and badass like The White Witch in Narnia. 

• Like 1

I love how Evanora, who relishes in all things evil, is like "Um, ok..."

I don't think Rachel was acting for that part.

I know, right? That was the weirdest reaction. Look at her face, totally "Oh,dear". It`s a reaction to Mila`s ham not to character.

A- 8.7/10 When the girl in the wheelchairs ask Oz to make she walk, Oz and Theodora around the bonfire, China Girl broken legs, desperate Glinda saying "You're the only thing that I have", China Girl wishng her family back and when Oz gave gifts are moments that generate true emotion, this feeling alone makes Oz better than 80% of the movies around.
the movie holds up very well, the most magical movie in quite some time.
Edited by GoffeSteel
  • Like 4

Oh China girl and the magical glue, Raimi nailed it to the T.  :wub:  Direction, acting, music, pacing. He even throws humor on top of this with Finley mirroring us all misty eyed, that rang true 100% especially mirroring directly the scene that showed Oz's incapacity to cure Joey King's disability in the real world, deception filled her eyes. That is the kind of sparkling emotional scene that Alice lacked.

On another note, during the climax while everyone ask themselves where the hell Oz disappeared, when all lights of Emerald City shutted down one by one with a booming sound into obscurity, I got such goosebumps :o . Too bad, the movie did not sustain that kind of thrilling vibe all the way through. (Then Mila's shrieking ruined everything)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

That is the kind of sparkling emotional scene that Alice lacked. exactly

On another note, during the climax while everyone ask themselves where the hell Oz disappeared, when all lights of Emerald City shutted down one by one with a booming sound into obscurity, I got such goosebumps :o

I got goosebumps too, such a great scene. If weren't for Raimi this movie would be twice as bad (for those who think this is a bad movie)

• Like 1

I loved the preparation montage, that was pure Raimi. And of course those incredible main titles.

Those main titles showed Raimi embraced the material and totally digs the parallel between magic and cinema that was so intertwined at the beginning of the century, an hommage coming back to the roots of cinema as a spectacle like Hugo Cabret was to Melies. That combination of retro cardboard imagery and modernity achieved through latest HiTech.

You know Tim Burton didn't even care about Alice when he didn't bother to craft main titles (Alice theme is too good for that movie) even if it is his trademark and forte.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Ehhhhhhhhh.. Well, I guess its better than Alice in Wonderland. At least this one has appealing visuals and spectacularly well executed 3D. But.. its boring. Sweet crispy jesus is this movie boring! Oh my god, I dont think I've seen a 130 minute film that felt this long, it felt more like three hours. This is probably caused by the terrible, predictable and unimaginative script, whose only clever bits (featuring the projector and the fireworks and such) happen in the climax. 

The amazing visual spectacle the movie has to offer made it worth sitting through. The effects are absolutely fantastic, and so are the colors. I loved the production design, Raimi's Land of Oz is so much more imaginative than Burton's Wonderland. Its a feast for the eyes. I also enjoyed the opening credits which were easily my favorite part. 

At first I couldn't stand James Franco but he slowly grew on me. He was actually not that bad. I do understand why people are shitting on Mila Kunis so much, it was just a bad decision to make her the Wicked Witch. She really didn't fit the part.

Its not an awful movie, per se, since there are good things to mention, but it is an exceptionally boring and tedious one that in the end is not redeemed by beautiful imagery. I still like Return to Oz better.

2,5/5

btw, not to sound like an old man but I dont really appreciate the trend of having jump scares in kids movies. 

I agree w/ dddeeee and Gopher about Mila. She did what she could with the part she was given but the awful writing of the character really stuck out in a film I otherwise rather enjoyed. It plays out like the usual kid-friendly fantasy; morally questionable protag undergoes change, cute/comic sidekicks join in, and a bunch of villainous histrionics culminating in a big action climax. But I found myself caught up in the romanticism of it all with the help of Raimi's directing flourishes and Elfman's omnipresent musical score, and there are plenty of chuckle-worthy lines and sight gags to keep things from getting tedious.

B+

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

B+. Would have been and A- if not for Mila Kunis' Lifetime Movie Network worthy 'acting'.

I was pleasantly surprised. James Franco has a screen presence and charm that few people in his age group have. Right from the start everyone in the audience was sold on his scamp of a character. Michelle Williams was pretty and nice which is all that was asked for. The monkey and the China Girl were really fun (and funny!!!) sidekicks. They reminded me of the sidekicks in Disney animated classics which is the highest compliment I can pay.

Well, that's the good. In the mixed bag i'd put the visuals. 95% of the time they were great but the 5% that was bad, :insert throwing up gif here: . All the witch flying scenes... Oh my. And also mixed was Rachel Weisz. She walked a fine line in the movie. 50% of the time she had just the right over the top villainy a movie like this needs. For the other 50% she veered off into the you're doing too much even for a Disney villain acting. The director should have reigned her in.

Mila Kunis, easily the worst thing in this movie. I think she was horribly miscast. She was fine in the beginning but once her character started to crack up she dropped to mediocre. By the time she was green and doing her evil laugh the audience was laughing at her and I was cringing. Ew.

Solid B for meI thought Franco did a very good job. I believed the progression he made from being a con man to being a carring man by the end of the movie. I loved the scene where he magically fixes the china doll girls legs. His little side kick monkey was funny and Williams did a good job as Glinda. I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to Kunis. I thought she was ok early on but I liked her after she became the green witch. She seemed to be having fun with it to me. I actually felt sorry for her seeing as she was so greatly manipulated by her sister.

• Like 1

Good

-I liked the two CGI sidekicks, I'll admit.

-Rachel Weiz is an example of scenery chewing in the best possible way.

-Michelle Williams is gorgeous. :wub:

-Sam Raimi is a great director. His style does the movie well.

-The title sequence was brilliant.

Bad

-The script is not very good. The Wicked Witch's failure is the script's fault, not Kunis's

-Franco was kind of, eh. He seemed pretty miscast, IMO.

-Some of the middle parts dragged a little bit.

B-/C+