baumer

Spring Breakers

28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's like Terrence Malick directed a Girls Gone Wild video. And I mean that in the best way possible because I've never seen a movie like this. A truly twisted and disturbing take on the American Dream.

Kind of exactly my take on it. I can't decide whether to give it an A or an F. I'm gonna let it sit for a few days before I decide. Edited by acsc1312
  • Like 1

I think one of the most important aspects of the movie is that Korrine shows sex and drugs in excess, but it's never titilating or viscerally pleasing. He keeps you at arms length to all the action- you're supposed to be an observer and it's all a little disassociating. I think that's what makes this effective as a satire- you never want to be with these spring breakers, these superficial girls who find Britney Spears to be a poet, even though the girls clearly want to sell you on the beauty and magic of spring break. 

It's a detached arthouse critique of this culture that uses exploitation to do it. Again, I haven't seen a movie like this. I think it's wonderful... it certainly helps that Korrine is truly great with visuals, the girls are all game for these crazy parts, and James Franco gives the performance of his career. 

• Like 1

How do you rank the Girls in the Movie. Have to see it again for me to do it.

Anyway, Like Vanessa H. Hot and Sexy in a Slutty Kind of Way.

On Gomez, her face make her look so young but she has some nice t*ts and in that bikini, she looked good, from the neck down.

While I understand where the praise is coming from, I don't agree with it. This was way over the top for me and it just dragged and got really silly. A film about sex drugs and rock and roll that doesn't drag and does it much better than this is Less Than Zero. This is just strange. And it's very weird. Franco is fantastic but the script imo lets the film down.5/10

BAUMER HATES MOVIES. 

But seriously, you're either on board with this or you're not. I totally get it. I just think the strangeness and weirdness and over-the-top-ness means something and I want to see it again to confirm my suspicions. 

• Like 1

BAUMER HATES MOVIES. But seriously, you're either on board with this or you're not. I totally get it. I just think the strangeness and weirdness and over-the-top-ness means something and I want to see it again to confirm my suspicions.

I agree with this too. Like I said, I can understand why people like it. I thought it was excessive and went into bazarro land. Too many "Spring Break...Spring Break...Spring Break forever bitches"...twice maybe, but by the time they did it for the 5th or sixth time, I'm like WTF?

It's the kind of film that demands a re-watch, but I pretty much loved it.It's beautiful, hypnotic, and seductive in a rather dirty and grim manner that you really have to see to be able to understand. It will stay in your mind well after the credits....a searing take on the current youth culture's lack moral strength and independence.I can't wait too see it again, and with Side Effects and now Spring Breakers only 3 months into the year (need to see Stoker), 2014 is off to some kind of start.A

Not that excessive no...but i went to acupulco for spring break once and it was similar. Just no excessive public nudity...no one destroyed the hotel and it wasnt that crazy. But it was close. 24 hour party.

It had alot of potential (Harmony is a good director) and it occasionally hits some nice high notes, but it never fully connected with me.  It was just TOO much alot of times, and it used such unrealistic extremes that it could never land with me (maybe because I've seen every Florida spring break for years- it's never like that).  Franco is pretty great, though

• Like 1

Just got back from this and I can safely say I loved pretty much every minute of it. A wonderful return to form for Korine - easily his best film since Gummo, in my opinion; a brilliantly realized darkly satirical takedown of a particular kind of the American dream. I gotta say I would never believe we'd see a day when filmmakers as fundamentally different as Michael Bay and Harmony Korine would attempt to make movies dealing with the same core themes, yet here we are. Considering I thought Pain & Gain to be a much more flawed effort, it's additionally interesting to me to draw parallels between them and note where Korine succeeded and Bay failed. 

• Like 2