baumer

Spring Breakers

28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Not sure what to think yet, but I think I liked it. A grotesque, nightmarish look at a truly lost generation. Brilliant editing, cinematography and a terrific James Franco. 

3/5

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 3

I finally watched it today. What an unsettling movie. Alien made my skin crawl and is still making my skin crawl. And the girls (except Faith) were so unhinged... Generally it's always weird for me when I watch an art-house film because I mostly watch the big Hollywood films and you get used to standard movie making. It's like being accustomed to fast food and getting a home cooked meal all of a sudden. Somewhat of a shock to the system. Anyway, I love Korine as a director. He makes some unusual choices and the film was beautiful to look at. And everyone did well with their characters. However I feel like it's impossible to give this movie a grade. That would be beyond the point.

• Like 1

Man, that was definitely different ... it was a surreal movie to watch due to the way it was edited and the wild dream evoking colors and sounds.

James Franco is great ... lots of eye candy ... Vanessa Hudgens & Ashley Benson work as the two real bad girls ... Selena Gomez is good casting as the religious girl due to her looking younger and more innocent than the others.  Korine's wife is really just there to get naked for the audience.

The Britney Spears 'Everything' scene is the best scene in the movie.  It's amazingly well done. 

Oh, as a wrestling fan, it was crazy to see Jeff Jarrett as the youth minister.

Overall, didn't love it, but certainly enjoyed it ... well, enjoyed is probably the wrong word as it was kind of creepy as well. ;)

B or 7.5/10

Edited by Adam

What a strange film. It's definitely unique. I've never seen a film even closely resemble this, so it gets major points for that. It's intoxicating in parts, and the Britney scene was so unexpected. I still think it teetered dangerously close to over-indulgence in the final act, and the film does suffer because of it. But, seriously, what a strange film.

B

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 1

What a strange film. It's definitely unique. I've never seen a film even closely resemble this, so it gets major points for that. It's intoxicating in parts, and the Britney scene was so unexpected. I still think it teetered dangerously close to over-indulgence in the final act, and the film does suffer because of it. But, seriously, what a strange film.

B

I agree ... the ending is 'serious' in terms of what's going on ... yet it really isn't because everything that happens in the last 5 minutes is so damn out there, it basically becomes a fantasy ... two girls suddenly become precision shooting assassins after Alien is gunned down like a nobody.  Maybe he showed them a few things, but they wouldn't be that good. ;)

Edited by Adam

One of those movies that you either get into or you don't. I did. An audiovisually arresting, hypnotic and meditative depiction of spring break, liberation and friendship, all told through the eyes of four young and naive girls. Beautiful and disturbing at the same time. Oh, and Franco is pretty good in it too.

B+.