Plain Old Tele

Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

Olympus Has Fallen (2013)  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It almost works because, as SUPERMAN said, Butler is the right guy for this role. He's a better John McClane than the current John McClane, and seems to be the only guy who knows what movie he's in. The rest of it is fairly dull and ugly and stupid and only spontaneously fun. It has all the thrills of watching someone play a first-person shooter game, and a surprisingly solid emotional hook that they just sort of throw out halfway through the film. 

• Like 1

It almost works because, as SUPERMAN said, Butler is the right guy for this role. He's a better John McClane than the current John McClane, and seems to be the only guy who knows what movie he's in. The rest of it is fairly dull and ugly and stupid and only spontaneously fun. It has all the thrills of watching someone play a first-person shooter game, and a surprisingly solid emotional hook that they just sort of throw out halfway through the film.

Would you recommend to just wait for Netflix? Stoker fell through last weekend so I'm hoping to see Stoker and Spring Breakers this weekend. Nothing like a dark Easter, IMO.

Exactly how I feel (surprise, surprise!). Not a terrible movie, but a boring one. There were a few golden moments, but they were too few and far between (Melissa Leo taking a beating then reciting the Pledge of Allengiance was up there). Yes, it's better than Die Hard 5, but almost everything is.

just came back from watching this, left a post in crowd reports, i gave this a solid B  because its better than i expected ,better executed than red dawn , and lived up to its good recommendations on this site!

but yeah it felt like a made for tv movie but one of the best by far because usually there not as good as this anyway, secret services guys were laughable, but then you have to not think watching this otherwise can't enjoy, a big house like that and one cannon to defend it, which is taken over and modified by the koreans pfff 

butler though was awesome in this, love his bit with the kid, could have lose the wife, would have made him better as a loner-type!

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Die Hard: White House is a pretty solid action flick. There were some points that stretched my disbelief a little too much but once I got past that, I really enjoyed it. Reminded me actually of some of the good seasons from 24. Crazy, fun ride-if only a little more logic had gone into the plot.

B+

This almost worked.   :rofl:  :rofl:

Good one.  

It's only one of the best action films ever made.  I'm not sure what else you "almost worked" guys are looking for, but if you don't think this film worked as an action film, then I'm not sure you understand action films.

It's a great action movie.   :rofl::rofl:

Good one. 

It's only one of the dumbest, most dour and unknowingly ridiculous screenplays I've ever seen on screen. I'm not sure what else you "best action films" guys were looking at, but if you think this worked as a good movie, then I'm not sure you understand good movies. 

Edited by Gopher

Toss Olympus Has Fallen into the large pile of movies from the last quarter-century that have tried to recapture the magic of Die Hard and missed. The film gets off to a solid start, and the takeover of the White House is well-staged, but it starts to run out of steam after that point, and it becomes too grim and too generic to be genuinely entertaining. Gerard Butler does well in the physical demands of his role, but both his performance and his character lack the charisma necessary to fully sell him to the audience. Rick Yune, who previously played a villain in Die Another Day, is a stock action movie villain: easily predisposed to violence, but otherwise not very menacing or interesting to watch. While no one else in the cast embarrasses themselves (save for that bizarre, unintentionally semi-hilarious scene in which Melissa Leo hams it up to 11 by reciting the pledge of allegiance while being dragged around), they also don't do anything particularly memorable. I would say that the film ought to be given credit for not compromising in regard to the violence (it's a hard R, complete with dozens and dozens of headshots, lots of blood spurts, and a few knives to heads), but it does nothing to elevate the low level of tension. It's an unremarkable experience, and hopefully Roland Emmerich will do something more outlandishly fun with the same concept in the upcoming White House Down. 

C

• Like 1

Thats one of the dumbest things ive ever read from u gopher. If u really think the action is lame then just stick to films made for under a million dollars. You obviously hate movies. :)

Edited by baumer

Thats one of the dumbest things ive ever read from u gopher.

Weird. I just copied what you wrote and changed a few words around.

If u really think the action is lame then just stick to films made for inder a miklion dollars.

I don't know who Inder a Milklion is, but if he's the cinematographer of Olympus Has Fallen then I will show him no gratitude.

You obviously hate movies.

Movies can be so much better than this, baumer! YOU must hate movies. :P Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1