The Movie Man

Old Movies

I watched a lot of old black-n-white movies as a kid. Loved the Marx Brothers and Buster Keaton... although strangely I'm not as big a fan of Chaplin as most everyone, and I don't care for the Stooges either.

More faves: the screwball comedies of the '30s: It Happened One Night, The Awful Truth, Bringing Up Baby, Philadelphia Story, etc. They (really) don't make 'em like they used to.

• Like 1

I'm also not a big Chaplin fan. Watched his first six full-length features earlier this year; thought Modern Times was fantastic, but all the others were flawed to some extent. I was especially disappointed by City Lights, which I really expected to love. But I thought the ending was the only truly great thing about it.

I haven't seen much from any of the earlier decades, but what I saw I mostly liked quite a lot, such as Metropolis, Pandora's Box, M, The Great Illusion, The Maltese Falcon, Citizen Kane, etc. I flat-out love The Shop Around the Corner, Casablanca, Double Indemnity and The Third Man, and obviously look forward to watching a lot more from that era, especially noir films. A little-seen classic from that time I'd recommend is Dead of Night (1945) - an entertaining and fairly frightening British horror anthology.

If we are going into 1950s, Rashomon and A Streetcar Named Desire in particular were revelatory viewings for me a few years ago. I still believe Vivien Leigh gave the greatest female film performance I've ever seen in Streetcar. Of the movies I've seen lately, In a Lonely Place (1950) is a terrific companion piece (in some ways, even superior) to Sunset Boulevard, and Bogart is genuinely great in it. 

• Like 1

Daily I'll check Turner Classic to see what's on there. I love watching old movies.And I concur that Chaplin doesn't really do much for me. Love the Marx Brothers, so quick with a joke and smart too.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 1

Kind of weird to think that films like Rocky, Jaws, Annie Hall and Star Wars are now considered classics.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

Well, they are... we're talking classic classics, or OLD OLD OLD classics. But we could add 'em to the conversation too. :D

I already included them above in what I consider the NEWER OLD CLASSICS - AS THEY ARE HITTING 40 TO 50 YEAR RANGE.

And then the ones from the 1930s to 1960s are the OLDER OLD CLASSICS.

Edited by TRUMAN

First BW picture I watched was Miss Miniver and oldest film I watched was Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

PS For me, it could have been this, as I once saw this in theaters, after it was restored.

Metropolis (film) - Wikipedia on

Metropolis is a 1927 German expressionist science-fiction film directed by Fritz Lang.

Edited by TRUMAN

The 67 Most Influential Films Ever Made

From 1895-1999. The flicks that taught Hollywood its tricks...

Mar 20th 2009 By Total Film

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/the-67-most-influential-films-ever-made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hAzJrBoNqvA

Edited by TRUMAN

I love old old classic movies. I like Shirley Temple and Margaret O'Brien. There used to be a channel that showed these old movies on Saturdays during the afternoon and some late at night.  Now that I'm adult and have cable I watch these old movies on Turner Classic Moive Channel. Some of my favorite classic films are pretty much anything Hitchcock, Old Paul Newman movies, Peyton Place, Mildred Pierce, Rebecca, On the Waterfront, Scarface, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Sabrina, All About Eve, Casablanca, Gaslight... I could go on forever. I have yet to see In a Lonely Place if I have I don't remember it.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 1