Though the golden age of HK film market had been past, the big potential of single movie would be more and more astonishing!

Yeah, golden age is gone but I actually think the HK film market is coming back. This year is on track to being a lot bigger than last year. It's already close to beating last year's numbers in only 4 months.Combine that with big increases for Hollywood movies and I think this year will outgross last year by a lot.

I forgot that today is Buddha's Birthday. It's a general holiday but not a statutory one. It might have a slight effect on the admissions today but Saturday is usually the busiest day for 3D films regardless so these admissions aren't really a byproduct of the holiday in my opinion.

Yeah, golden age is gone but I actually think the HK film market is coming back. This year is on track to being a lot bigger than last year. It's already close to beating last year's numbers in only 4 months.Combine that with big increases for Hollywood movies and I think this year will outgross last year by a lot.

The annual admissions in golden age were super shocking!I hope the local movies of HK can return to peakedness!

The annual admissions in golden age were super shocking!I hope the local movies of HK can return to peakedness!

I can only imagine the kinds of admissions the Stephen Chow (周星馳) movies got. I can watch them 20, 30 times and still laugh at the same scenes.

Bluebomb, where do you see TA finishing in the all time chart? Can it beat DH2 or even TF3?

It's quite tricky to pinpoint its final gross after such a big opening. Usually 2nd weekend will give a much clearer picture but here it goes.If The Avengers were to suffer the same fate as other superhero movies, it will end up in the high 9-low 10m range. But I think The Avengers has very strong WOM so I see it getting bumped up to a slightly higher multiplier. Right now, I see this finishing with about 11.1m, higher than Transformers 3 and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2 but a little lower than Toy Story 3.

It's quite tricky to pinpoint its final gross after such a big opening. Usually 2nd weekend will give a much clearer picture but here it goes.If The Avengers were to suffer the same fate as other superhero movies, it will end up in the high 9-low 10m range. But I think The Avengers has very strong WOM so I see it getting bumped up to a slightly higher multiplier. Right now, I see this finishing with about 11.1m, higher than Transformers 3 and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2 but a little lower than Toy Story 3.

Thanks, hopefully China follows.

Posted Image

The Avengers' opening Saturday total admissions - 149,832

3D share - 97.9%

2D share - 2.1%

The Avengers 3D squashes Transformers 3's 3D single-day admissions record. It also becomes the new recordholder for single day in gross beating Transformers 3's 1.286m.

The Avengers Saturday estimate - $1,550,000

Posted Image

The Avengers is projected to win the weekend and become the new holder of the 4-day record. This was largely unexpected given the release date and strong weekends that occurred in March and early April. Fantastic OW. This might be the precursor of an explosive summer with Amazing Spider-Man, Ice Age 4 and The Dark Knight Rises all contending for huge OWs.

Such big competition and robust business for the opener meant all holdovers were bulldozed in some capacity. Battleship was hit the hardest given The Avengers targeted the same demographic. Titanic also plunged due to loss of IMAX and regular weekend showtimes. 407 Dark Flight couldn't hold on and experienced a weekend purge (where almost no theater gave it any showtimes on the weekend). Love in the Buff's fate was similar to 407 Dark Flight.

Looks like The Avengers is heading for 120,000-130,000 admissions today for a grand total of over 400,000 admissions for the weekend.

Would it break the TF3 record? I just calculated the average price at 10.5 dollars and 400K admissions would be under TF3.

Would it break the TF3 record? I just calculated the average price at 10.5 dollars and 400K admissions would be under TF3.

It will drum up more than 400,000 admissions. Also, midnights for all days have been erased. The final admissions number should be higher.

Singapore and HK have similar trends no? In this case we can expect the same kind of success in Singapore for TA.

Yeah. Most superhero movies perform about the same in HK and Singapore but Singapore, like Philippines exceeds HK box office at times with some superhero films.Green Lantern made only 1.4m in HK but almost doubled that in Singapore. In any case, you should be optimistic with both Singapore and Thailand. They're 2 important markets for The Avengers.