A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

4 minutes ago, Goffe said:

that's it? :depp:

I mean, it's not hard to figure that out based on the trailer alone, and I did think that could be the big twist, but I expected them to go in a different direction as it was so obvious.

Yeah, so weird Sony hided that in the trailer. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lilmac said:

This is opening mighty close to Rogue One and going after the same audience. Can't be helped now but perhaps a late October release would have been better.

Or January. It opens at least a week later in most of the OS territories, North America + UK should've done the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Oh, thank you!!! 

Also, I agree that the release time should not have been so close to Rogue One, but with these stars, this look and decent reviews (fingers crossed) I still think it will do well for itself.  I think it could have done better with a different release date, though.

Edited by trifle

7 hours ago, Goffe said:

that's it? :depp:

I mean, it's not hard to figure that out based on the trailer alone, and I did think that could be the big twist, but I expected them to go in a different direction as it was so obvious.

I also understand there may have been changes in the third act, which may be another twist, for those of us who read the screenplay.

4 hours ago, lilmac said:

This is opening mighty close to Rogue One and going after the same audience. Can't be helped now but perhaps a late October release would have been better.

Don't really think it's the same audience. Action-adventure vs big budget romance

• Like 1

8 hours ago, amelin said:

It's funny how differently this kind of thing can be perceived -- to me, it's so difficult to understand how anyone can watch these and think that Jen and Chris seem forced together. To each their own, I guess. I think people overall seem to like them together though, given the buzz they've been generating over the course of the press tour. 

BEFORE this film was even shooting, back when Jen was still filming XA, there were tabloid rumors that Jen and Chris were a) having an affair 'during shooting' and/or b ) that Anna, Chris's wife was worried they were because they were so close.  (Different tabloids ran with it differently.)  According to something Anna said in an interview, when filming actually did begin, Jen took her aside, said 'there are going to be rumors in this kind of film; how should we handle this?' and they discussed it. I have noted that in every single interview I've seen them in Jen has mentioned Anna and Chris's son Jack, and she repeatedly volunteers, apropos of nothing, that Chris and Anna are so in love they seem like a Nicholas Sparks novel.

Far from thinking this approach means there is NO chemistry in the film, I think they are trying to head off rumors because the on screen chemistry is scorching, and everything I've read responding to that point agrees.  I personally have no worries at all on that score.

Premiere in Westwood tonight

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

You guys make it seem like Passengers is some niche film. To me it's a big budget spectacle with a human story yes, but definitely aimed at the four quadrants. 

Doesn't matter if it's set in space, on another planet or on a large cruiseliner, romances can gross big.

I'm not saying it aims squarely at Rogue One core audience (not even close) but it will attract attention from mainstream targets who might be considering both on R1's 2nd weekend. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lilmac said:

You guys make it seem like Passengers is some niche film. To me it's a big budget spectacle with a human story yes, but definitely aimed at the four quadrants. 

Doesn't matter if it's set in space, on another planet or on a large cruiseliner, romances can gross big.

I'm not saying it aims squarely at Rogue One core audience (not even close) but it will attract attention from mainstream targets who might be considering both on R1's 2nd weekend. 

Yeah, but I already have tickets for both of them.

Edited by trifle

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Welp. I've tried being optimistic to the end, but it's becoming increasingly clear the writing is on the wall.

9 minutes ago, ezme said:

seems like the film is really controversial...

Controversial isn't the same as bad.

The embargo lifts tomorrow.  Personally, I can wait until a fair sampling of reviews are in to see what critics will say.  And what they say likely will impact box office, one way or the other - but if it is controversial for the reason I'm thinking of, I think there will be plenty who still really like it.