A Marvel Fanboy

Weekend Numbers: Oblvi: 38.1 42: 18 mill (starting pg 10)

See I was disappointed! It actually took up less of the screen then Tron did. We have a giant Imax and Oblivion used only about half of the screen. Tron used 3/4th. TDK used full. 

Did you see it on a digital IMAX screen or a 70mm screen? On 70mm, it filled the entire screen. When I saw Tron, it only opened up for select scenes (ala Dark Knight and MIGP). For Oblivion, the entire screen was filled for the duration of the film. 

I don't think this movie could fill up a real IMAX screen unless it was filmed with an IMAX camera. Movies converted into IMAX never fill up the entire screen(only digital IMAX$I could be wrong.

I don't think this movie could fill up a real IMAX screen unless it was filmed with an IMAX camera. Movies converted into IMAX never fill up the entire screen(only digital IMAX$I could be wrong.

I have seen quite a few movies in 70mm IMAX. Both Tron Legacy and TASM, which were not shot with IMAX cameras, filled the screen for several sequences (similar to TDK/MIGP). This is the first one I have seen where literally the entire screen was filled for the whole film. It was shot with a Sony F65 at 4K and framed specifically for 70mm IMAX. 

http://www.imax.com/oo/imax-palisades-center/theatre-info/news-and-events/behind-the-frame-an-imax-exclusive-look-at-oblivion/

I also saw Skyfall on the same IMAX screen and despite having a different AR than the standard theatrical release, it did not fill the entire screen. 

Edited by Clavius

Returned brefly from Asgard

Fri looking like,may be able update later

Ob 12.7-13.5m, 42 5-5.5m,SM5 2.3,Croods 2,GIJ2 1.8

And he's back amongst mortals.  Even for a little while :)

Costly ‘Oblivion’ $13.8M Friday And $39+M Weekend: Tom Cruise’s Bigger Openings

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/tom-cruises-oblivion-late-shows-gross-1-1m/

And the estimates keep on getting higher!   C'mon crack 40.

Wow, color me stunned by that Oblivion opening. Anything over 35 is incredibly impressive. It's probably playing better with older audiences, because there is zero, nada, zip buzz among people my age.