A Marvel Fanboy

Weekend Numbers: Oblvi: 38.1 42: 18 mill (starting pg 10)

or how about move JP 3D to September or October and put Oblivion on April 5th. And surely Oblivion is a better choice for July 19th than RIPD.  Such weird decisions.

Yeah I'd rather RIPD had taken JP's slot, Oblivion take RIPD's, and JP could have gone to September. Oblivion totally feels like a summer movie to me. RIPD definitely does not.

What are people feeling for Pain and Gain next week? I've got it around 28. Is that low?

I'd say that's safe. But if it breaks out I think low 40s is possible. Hard to doubt Wahlberg and The Rock, that's a lot of star power.

Edited by IronMan89

What are people feeling for Pain and Gain next week? I've got it around 28. Is that low?

I've got 34, for now. If Oblivion hadn't done as well I'd be predicting even higher. This is assuming a relatively high TC, of course. 

What were they thinking releasing it a week before IM3 though? This isn't FF and IM is not Thor.

It's a cheap movie. Paramount will make the production budget back on its opening weekend.

You guys don't want Oblivion or Pain & Gain released before Iron Man. Should Hollywood just shut down till it comes out?

• Like 1

It's a cheap movie. Paramount will make the production budget back on its opening weekend.

You guys don't want Oblivion or Pain & Gain released before Iron Man. Should Hollywood just shut down till it comes out?

Not everybody cares about Iron Man. 

surely you would not want to release a movie, especially one like Pain and Gain that has some potential to do well, just before a huge four quadrant film like Iron Man 3? It just seems like common sense

• Like 1

surely you would not want to release a movie, especially one like Pain and Gain that has some potential to do well, just before a huge four quadrant film like Iron Man 3? It just seems like common sense

It's not going to drop 80% when Iron Man opens. As long as it opens well, it'll be a profitable movie for them.

Yup. Why sacrifice all chances of leg power of a potential breakout? The week before IM3 should have been only sure-fire duds (see last years laughable week before TA).

Universal are such frigging idiots. Here is what they did. They originally scheduled Oblivion for July 19th. Then for some reason, moved Oblivion to April and put Jurassic Park 3D for July 19th. Then they moved Jurassic Park 3D to April as well and put RIPD in the July 19th spot. What the fuck were they thinking?

It's the same people who gave 200m+ to make battleshit so no surprise they mess up again.

If they were going to move oblivion to april, I really think the extra week (which they decided not to) of early Imax release would have definitely helped since it looks and sounds amazing in this format.

I'd say that the move to April was a solid choice for Oblivion.  Since the studio went with 2D, the only way to get ticket surcharges was to get it into big format theaters.  Opening this weekend gives them two weeks in those screens before IM3 drops.  It's not a perfect solution, but it does give Oblivion a slight edge over other 2D movies opening this summer.  As for Pain and Gain, I want to say that it'll break out to like 40, but I'd say the safer bet is it lands somewhere near 28-30.  Never know though, the ad blitz towards 20-something males has been heavy, could draw them out in droves.

• Like 2

Since the studio went with 2D, the only way to get ticket surcharges was to get it into big format theaters.  Opening this weekend gives them two weeks in those screens before IM3 drops.  It's not a perfect solution, but it does give Oblivion a slight edge over other 2D movies opening this summer.

Great point.