Plain Old Tele

Upstream Color (2013)

Upstream Color (2013)  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Hot-damn this film was good. For the first 15 mintues I thought it was going to be completely abstract, but there's actually quite a strong narrative. Shane Carruth may just be the most exciting 'new' movie-maker out there now.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

I pretty much loved this. Beautifully abstract -- I wish we had more American filmmakers doing this sort of thing. The movie references Thoreau repeatedly, but I think T.S. Eliot is appropriate too:

With the drawing of this Love and the voice of this Calling
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring 
Will be to arrive where we started 
And know the place for the first time.
Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

an audacious and highly abstract experiment that attempts to represent human lives, or life itself, or even the entirety of the material universe as some interconnected conglomerate pulsating with emotion and desire. well, yeah. i dunno how successful it is, or whether its elusive goal even makes sense, as the characters seemed to be one step away from spitting phrases such as 'life force', 'chakra', and 'zero point energy'. whatever the case, it's nice to see something original. hypnotic too.

6.5/10

Today I learned something new. I hate experimental cinema.

What a shitty, boring, torturous-to-watch movie. I get it, but it just doesn't work for me. I could barely finish this once, so I really don't understand how some of you can or will watch this again. 

F

Had to reach Wikipedia for help every 20 minutes. It's pretty much impossible to follow on its own. One of these movies where the abstractness of it all is more detrimental than beneficial for my enjoyment of the film. 35/100

Edited by Goffe