Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

He said 65M with slight lean towards higher + west coast is usually strong for SH movies so 70M is still on the table. 

I think this should play well into the night. As I left my theater at 5pm, there's line starting to form with lots of families and kids. Figure it's Friday, so parents have to get off work first, or wait for school to finish to bring their kids to watch the movie.

Alright, I'm at work and 8 hours later, what's going on without having to go back 50 pages???

People are calling you out, go get 'em

• Like 2

Uh, I didn't expect a repeat of $208M. That's an anomaly. Can't seriously expect that to happen twice.

Neither did we. But most of us expected more than 150's. But this is a premature argument because we have no confirmation yet that's where it's headed.

I hate this world where a mid 150Ms 3-day is a disappointment.

"I hate this board where a mid 150Ms 3-day is a disappointment," is more like it. The rest of the world -- you know, normal folks -- isn't looking at it that way. 

• Like 2

"I hate this board where a mid 150Ms 3-day is a disappointment," is more like it. The rest of the world -- you know, normal folks -- isn't looking at it that way. 

Well normal folks don't even follow or care about box office. :P

• Like 1

Well I don't think schedule will be a problem at all, I think Star Trek into Darkness and Fast Six will be extremely sorry when Iron Man 3 is still going strong going into Memorial Day weekend.

Something I'd like to point out here, regarding legs and the crowded May schedule:

Think about the the reports we've been hearing all day about how there haven't been many sell-outs, mostly due to the fact that there are a bazillion showings of IM3 for people to choose from. It helps when you can have 28 screenings at one theater.

Now think about how that won't be possible on Memorial Day weekend.

Let's assume that a theater can have 80 showings per day. (Just picking an average number for something like an 18-screen theater.)

So assume on Memorial Day: Star Trek will have 20 (or 15), IM3 will still have 5 (or 10), Gatsby, P&G, Peeples, Big Wedding, Oblivion, and whatever other leftovers will likely account for another 15 or so. That's 40 right there, which only leaves 40 showings to split between the 3 new openers.

Unlike tonight with a trillion screenings of IM3, there's bound to be lots of sellouts that will force people to buy a ticket for Star Trek or Iron Man or something else instead.

PS. I didn't quite pick these numbers out of thin air. There's an 18-screen theater here in town with exactly 80 showings today, of which 28 are IM3. But obviously there's no way they'll be able to have anywhere near 28 screenings for F&F 6 or Hangover 3 on Memorial weekend. Numbers will obviously change based on theater size and how busy they usually are, but yeah, I think Memorial Day weekend will see lots of spillover business from sellouts this year.

• Like 1

Ok. so I lost.. Give me the signature change folks or however you want to do it.. Will there also be a What went wrong thread or not???

Why would there be a what went wrong thread when nothing went wrong? Except some predictions here, of course. 

• Like 1