Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

This post needs more likes. I do not want to downplay the likelihood of Avengers adding some interest to this movie, but 3D is a bigger draw overseas than domestic. Moreover, it's also a huge influence on international ticket prices (because of it's stronger popularity in some countries).

I think it's combination of Avengers and 3D.

Yes, I agree.  I admit I waaaaaaay underestimated the film internationally.  I do agree that Avengers spiked the interest in this both domestic and intrnl.  But I really think 3D has a lot do with the success internationally.  We have one film to compare it to and it's a pretty fair comparison.  Here, it will probably finish with about 360-380, imo, and that is obviously much more than IM2, but not as big a spike as it is in other markets.  So 3D has to be taken into consideration.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Out of curiousity, but how is the 3D in IM3??? Any good??? Most post converted 3D Blows.. :thinking: 

Nothing special, IMO, but not a bad conversion by any means. I've seen worse. I want to see it again in 2D tomorrow, but I have to downgrade from 7.1 surround and a bigger screen to do it. Decisions, decisions...

• Founder / Operator

Yes, I agree.  I admit I waaaaaaay underestimated the film internationally.  I do agree that Avengers spiked the interest in this both domestic and intrnl.  But I really think 3D has a lot do with the success internationally.  We have one film to compare it to and it's a pretty fair comparison.  Here, it will probably finish with about 360-380, imo, and that is obviously much more than IM2, but not as big a spike as it is in other markets.  So 3D has to be taken into consideration.

The hard part too (like Chewy mentions) is that different countries are in different situations. But then there's something like China. IM2 made $26.3m there in its entire run. IM3 did 80% of that in one single freaking day. That's not just an Avengers effect. It's also not even 3D. It's the fastest expanding market in the world.

Nothing else compares to China, but, it's an example.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

3D has money all over it. It's a fucking scam unless the movie is shot in 3D. MoS was forced into 3D by WB. Makes no sense.

• Like 1

The hard part too (like Chewy mentions) is that different countries are in different situations. But then there's something like China. IM2 made $26.3m there in its entire run. IM3 did 80% of that in one single freaking day. That's not just an Avengers effect. It's also not even 3D. It's the fastest expanding market in the world.

Nothing else compares to China, but, it's an example.

Yes, it's like China has been married for 10 years and now it just got divorced and is now going to singles clubs every weekend and picking up as many women as possible......trying to make up for all that it missed over the last ten years.  :)

• Like 2

This post needs more likes. I do not want to downplay the likelihood of Avengers adding some interest to this movie, but 3D is a bigger draw overseas than domestic. Moreover, it's also a huge influence on international ticket prices (because of it's stronger popularity in some countries).I think it's combination of Avengers and 3D.

Well duh lol. But the Avengers definitely had an effect. IM2 was a crap film and the 3rd would've lost a lot of audience had Avengers not come out. As it sits it looks like IM3 may slightly increase or stay flat with IM2, which goes to show how big the drop in gross would've been in attendance had Avengers not come along and saved its butt. It probably wouldn't have hit 250m.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Yes, it's like China has been married for 10 years and now it just got divorced and is now going to singles clubs every weekend and picking up as many women as possible......trying to make up for all that it missed over the last ten years.   :)

Hmm, not to touch on any sour notes but... was that a subtle hint about your recent travels? If so, good on you.   ;)

Edited by ShawnMR

This question can be fully answered in November. Thor 1 had 3D and made around 450M WW, if Thor 2 gets to 700M+ then we know TA affect was the driving force.

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

I definitely underestimated it overseas. I can't remember my last overseas prediction, but, I think I was around $900m worldwide ($375m domestic).

Hmm, not to touch on any sour notes but... was that a subtle hint about your recent travels? If so, good on you.   ;)

No, not yet.  I'm still living with my wife until next weekend.  And even when I do move out, I'm in no rush to get back into that kind of thing.  :)

This question can be fully answered in November. Thor 1 had 3D and made around 450M WW, if Thor 2 gets to 700M+ then we know TA affect was the driving force.

Don't most sequels increase WW to begin with?

Transformers 3 didn't increase from 2 in every territory, it just went nuts in Asia and S. America

IM3 is crushing IM2 EVERYWHERE, including places like the UK, Australia, etc, where TF2->TF3 stayed relatively flat

Not to mention it's crushing TA in some places too. And TA also had 3D.

The thing is, a lot were arguing for IM3 potential OS accounted both TA effect and 3D boost, yet the people argue against it dismiss both, or give 3D little mention and little influence. Now that it blows up, Transformers comparisons are mentioned when none acknowledge it back then.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

No, not yet.  I'm still living with my wife until next weekend.  And even when I do move out, I'm in no rush to get back into that kind of thing.   :)

Gotcha. Sorry, didn't mean to offend or anything bud. ;)

Ah! He's alive and well (I presume). Good.

But tell me, BKB, how does that number disappoints ME, but not YOU?? I thought we ALL agreed that anything beneath 150m (especially for a 4 day CHEATING weekend!!!) is downright sloppy.

Well... I will tell you why: because you didn't bet a FRIGGING LOT OF MONEY - LIKE I DID!! - ON THIS MOVIE BEING A SUCCESS!!

So now that the movie has failed, you lose nothing, you cunning opportunist!, and you think you can just pretend NOTHING has happened???

Edited by shayhiri

China $40.0MKorea $31.8MUK $30.2MMexico $29.5MFrance $24.8MAustralia $23.8MBrazil $22.9MItaly $15.4MTaiwan $12.6MRussia $12.5MJapan $12.3MPhilippines $10.9MIndia $9.2MMalaysia $9.0MHong Kong $8.9MIndonesia $8.7MSpain $7.7MOther $78.1M

Overseas Total $388.3M

Baumer, in Asia it's blowing away TA clearly it's not 3D as TA had it as well. In France and Germany, establish markets who hate SH movies it's going to make same as TA. All I see is Great WOM from TA helping IM3. If you want to disagree fine by me but facts back me up more than you. 

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2013-05-03-domestic-iron-man-3-posts-healthy-eveningmidnight-show-haul

• Like 1