Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

Agree about the Tesseract, but the arc reactor is OK in my book. Only bad part of IM1 is the fact that the climactic fight feels like a Transformers movie.

Arc reactor stopped working for me right before the Iron Monger fight. Which relative to the rest of the film was quite shitty. Luckily they had that awesome closer and tag to bring the film home. 

• Like 1

There were no laughs at Ben Kingsley during my showing. It felt out of place. The rest of the movie couldn't be taken seriously even when pepper "died".

Pepper "dying" couldn`t have been taken seriously in any circumstances because it never felt like they would kill her off. It wasn`t just the comedic tone of the movie up until that point that made her death feel like "nah, she isn`t" but it`s standard cliche that when a hero or heroine is injected with some super-shit and "die" they`ll come back with powers for the payoff. So suspense wasn`t there. It`s a stupid plot.

There were no laughs at Ben Kingsley during my showing. It felt out of place. The rest of the movie couldn't be taken seriously even when pepper "died".

Did you see it with all the hardcore fanboys from SHH????

• Like 2

My friends laughed a lot at every

KINGsley moment after the revelation. Pepper dying was ridiculous. We knew she had been ejected with the EXTREMIS, so we knew she would not die.

• Like 2

Twist = awesome. Extremis = the tesseract in the Avengers and the arc reactor in Iron Man. Probably the worst thing about the movie, but I'll roll with it if this much fun stuff is going on. 

Yep. Sonar in The Dark Knight, microwave emitter in Batman Begins, Doc Ock's sun machine in Spider-Man 2, etc. These things are all really quite stupid if you sit down and think about them but they work in terms of moving the plot forward and keeping the action going.

• Like 2

Yep. Sonar in The Dark Knight, microwave emitter in Batman Begins, Doc Ock's sun machine in Spider-Man 2, etc. These things are all really quite stupid if you sit down and think about them but they work in terms of moving the plot forward and keeping the action going.

These things are precisely why I think it's ludicrous that people give such high scores to some of these films. By high scores, I mean 10/10 type scores. The genre just comes with a lot of inherent baggage and I haven't seen a single superhero film yet that completely overcomes said baggage, whether it's dumb plot devices or predictable outcomes.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

What an utterly BORING crowd.

• Like 5

These things are precisely why I think it's ludicrous that people give such high scores to some of these films. By high scores, I mean 10/10 type scores. The genre just comes with a lot of inherent baggage and I haven't seen a single superhero film yet that completely overcomes said baggage, whether it's dumb plot devices or predictable outcomes.

It's because it's inherent that I don't bother penalizing them for it. 

Did you see it with all the hardcore fanboys from SHH????

Great to know you can have an opinion here. Not everyone liked the movie.

I just have a big problem going to IMDB and voting a 10 to something with that kind of big flaw in the plot when I'm also giving out 10's to true classics like Sunset Boulevard or Casablanca.

Arc reactor stopped working for me right before the Iron Monger fight. Which relative to the rest of the film was quite shitty. Luckily they had that awesome closer and tag to bring the film home. 

Do most folks agree that Iron Man had the single best eneding of any superhero movie ever?

EDIT: Actually, let me change that to the 2 best endings of any superhero movie?

Dark Knight had a powerful ending with Batman being hunted, but the simplicity of the 4-word falcon punch "I am Iron Man" just left everyone floored, both the reporters on screen and the moviegoers watching in theaters. Such a short simple sentence that just blew everyone away.

And of course, I just remembered Iron Man had that second ending too, a scene that promised to take movies to a place they had never gone before. To think Avengers is just the beginning, just the tip of the iceberg of that payoff for the Nick Fury post-credits scene.

Pepper's death is like Gordon's death in TDK. You didn't believe either one of them was real because the characters are historically too important to kill them off. And sure enough neither of them really died. Who didn't see it coming?

true but

Gordon`s was well done and actually moved the plot forward whereas Pepper`s dead and Power Puff Pepper were just obligatory Girl Power moment so Sasha Stone and the likes give the movie thumbs up and little girls have a Pepper action figure (not that little girls care for action figures but Disney will always try.

• Like 2

That stupid shit is still better than deus ex machina, especially when DEM is used kazillions times over the course of one movie (coughEagleTaxicoughGandalfPowercough). The former is at least some attempt at creativity while the latter is downright lazy writing (that applies to original source as well as those who adapt in case of movie adaptations).