kayumanggi

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION | 487.7 M overseas ● 682.7 M worldwide

I think we don't see 800 million worldwide and even more because the studio fucked up in the key markets in Asia (China, Japan, South Korea). China: if M:I-5 was rolled at movie theaters in the same dates as Terminator Genitals (instead of it) without any competition from Hollywood for more than two weeks - 200 million were possible there! Japan: opposition against Jurassic World (monster hit) - WTF with the studio? Without so strong competitor M:I-5 could collect 30 million more (at least 30 from 70 which were collected by Jurassic World)! Korea: the studio didn't make due work, they didn't pay attention to potential local hits, even Rsyu (conducts the Korean thread) told that in South Korea   2 hits can coexist at the same time , but not 3  (((Against one rival of M:I-5 could collect 20-30 million more! Therefore if the Paramount made the work for 100% - we would have 130 million more than now = 800 million worldwide already!!! Sorry for mistakes. I had used a translator :)

Edited by Driven51
  • Like 2

A lot of good was created for Cruise among the online community with EOT and MI5. He gained a whole new audience from these last two movies. Mena and Jack Reacher 2 will be hits and expand his fan base even further. MI6 will be even bigger.

I hope you will be right! ;)

I think we don't see 800 million worldwide and even more because the studio fucked up in the key markets in Asia (China, Japan, South Korea). China: if M:I-5 was rolled at movie theaters in the same dates as Terminator Genitals (instead of it) without any competition from Hollywood for more than two weeks - 200 million were possible there! Japan: opposition against Jurassic World (monster hit) - WTF with the studio? Without so strong competitor M:I-5 could collect 30 million more (at least 30 from 70 which were collected by Jurassic World)! Korea: the studio didn't make due work, they didn't pay attention to potential local hits, even Rsyu (conducts the Korean thread) told that in South Korea   2 hits can coexist at the same time , but not 3  (((Against one rival of M:I-5 could collect 20-30 million more! Therefore if the Paramount made the work for 100% - we would have 130 million more than now = 800 million worldwide already!!! Sorry for mistakes. I had used a translator :)

I have trouble seeing 700 mill WW

I have trouble seeing 700 mill WW

Yeah, because the studio didn`t proper work in the key markets in Asia (I explained the reasons above). They didn`t their work for 100 percent, cause if they did: 30 million more from Japan were possible, as from South Korea and 70 more from China = 130 mil more than we have now! 674+130=804!! ;) 

Yeah, because the studio didn`t proper work in the key markets in Asia (I explained the reasons above). They didn`t their work for 100 percent, cause if they did: 30 million more from Japan were possible, as from South Korea and 70 more from China = 130 mil more than we have now! 674+130=804!! ;)

You know these are just some arbitrary numbers you are throwing out there, you really shouldn't treat this as if it were fact.

• Like 2

You know these are just some arbitrary numbers you are throwing out there, you really shouldn't treat this as if it were fact.

i don`t treat this numbers like a fact, but they were possible! Did you read my post? I explained my point of view there:

i don`t treat this numbers like a fact, but they were possible! Did you read my post? I explained my point of view there:

I did read your post, but I found it thoroughly unconvincing. The post is a mix of using selective statistics and vastly overrating the effect competition.

China: if M:I-5 was rolled at movie theaters in the same dates as Terminator Genitals (instead of it) without any competition from Hollywood for more than two weeks - 200 million were possible there! 

1) Studios don't decide the release date, so it isn't their fault even if it is a bad release date.

2) MI competition was actually really weak, both in terms of how much other films were making and their target audience. The biggest release near MI5 was Minions which was a disappointment and is clearly targeting a different demographic from MI5. you somehow managed to see over 60M lost for MI5 just from the supposed competition, which is means that MI5 lost the entirety of Minions gross!

3) Terminator didn't even have significantly less competition than MI5 and actually had to go up against a government pushed local film that was manipulating numbers for it. It's actually more convenient going up against Minions than the Hundred Regiments Offensive. I think there is a better case to be made that MI5 had the better release date of the two (although nowhere near 60M worth of difference).

Japan: opposition against Jurassic World (monster hit) - WTF with the studio? Without so strong competitor M:I-5 could collect 30 million more (at least 30 from 70 which were collected by Jurassic World)! 

Again with an overestimation of the effect of competition, although not as egregious as with China. 30M out of 70M would be 43% of JW's gross that supposedly would have watched MI5 but didn't just to watch JW instead. this is a ridiculously high rate, that if it were true would mean that would never be such a thing as summer movie season or winter holiday season, because by far the most important thing would be to avoid competition on these dates. Thankfully studios know better than you and realise that having holidays or summer weekdays is more beneficial than any negative that might come from having bigger films opening in close proximity.

What I said is true for Domestic, but it is even more true in the leggy Japanese market which makes competition even less important (The film opening at the same time as you do has a smaller effect if higher percent of your audience is watching the film several weeks after the opening anyway. MI5 had a perfect opening during the Holiday, a time when it is customary for some of the biggest films of the year to open up against each other, and all perform just fine.

Korea: the studio didn't make due work, they didn't pay attention to potential local hits, even Rsyu (conducts the Korean thread) told that in South Korea   2 hits can coexist at the same time , but not 3  (((Against one rival of M:I-5 could collect 20-30 million more!

This is actually the closest to reality just for the fact that the release date really wasn't great, but again you overestimate the effect. MI5 made 40M in total, it didn't lose almost half of it's potential gross just because of those 2 films (which didn't even release at the same time but were a week before and a week after MI5). But if MI5 wanted to release with summer weekdays it was going to have some kind of big film opening a week before or after, just not both or not as big as as Assassination and Veteran ended up being.

Therefore if the Paramount made the work for 100% - we would have 130 million more than now = 800 million worldwide already!!! Sorry for mistakes. I had used a translator  :)

I think if the Studio took your advice it may have gained a little in Korea and lost a little in China and Japan and may have ended up even (or even lost some), and this is with the power of hindsight, since the studios can't be sure what films will break out when they schedule their films.

• Like 3

I did read your post, but I found it thoroughly unconvincing. The post is a mix of using selective statistics and vastly overrating the effect competition.

It is just your opinion! I don`t change and won`t change mine! I didn`t say about some crazy and fantastic numbers (100 mil more from that market and 150 mil more from that...). I imagine box-office like a pie, so if you are stronger  - bigger piece of pie you can get! Jurassic World obviously was much stronger (the worldwide grosses simply proves it) than MI5 - i still believe that without that rival 60 mil from Japan were sure thing!.....

• Like 1