ddddeeee

Film scores 2016

I'm so excited for what 2016 has to offer I might burst. What are you most excited for?

Desplat's score for Rogue One tops my list. Desplat's previous score for the director was one of his very best and one of the best of the year. All I've heard for years is how Giacchino is Williams' heir (people say this of course when Williams is still working and writing better music than anyone) and I couldn't be more thrilled that it's Desplat who's next in line instead.

Speaking of Williams, he's back in children's fantasy territory with the BFG. Williams + Dahl is mouthwatering, maybe something akin to Hook?

Elfman returns to Wonderland in May. Say what you want about the movie but Alice's theme is a career highlight. I don't think there's been a better theme since it came out. Elfman's already written a new theme for SBC's villain too. He also has a renaissance drama called Tulip Fever which is about as un-Elfman sounding a movie as there's ever been so that should be interesting.

Thomas Newman returns to Pixar with Finding Dory. Again, it's Giacchino this and that but Newman's two Pixar scores are probably my favorites. 

I'm finally excited for another Zimmer score. I love, love, love his score for The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons was good too so I'm pumped for Inferno.

Then there's some interesting slots that need filled. Will Christopher Young really score Doctor Strange? If so, then that shoots right up my list. If not, he still has the sequel to The Monkey King which is one of his best scores.

Elfman, for whatever reason, isn't scoring Burton's next movie. Burton obviously has great taste in music and his style lends itself to music so whoever ends up scoring it should probably do a great job. Maybe he'll work with Howard Shore again?

David Yates' style (or lack of) really doesn't lend itself to music, but Fantastic Beasts is such a big canvas it's hard not to get excited about who is going to be involved.

Some great composers look to be out of action this year, John Powell and Patrick Doyle namely and no more James Horner to look forward to either.

Really not excited about the three big superhero scores.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Apparently Desplat said recently that he doesn't expect to use any of Williams' themes for Rogue One.

I'm on board with this. Let Desplat be Desplat.

Makes sense. Considering the setting of the movie the only Williams cues I would even expect to hear would be the SW main theme, Imperial Attack (as it was the Imp theme for Episode IV), and maybe Imp March. None of the other themes/cues would fit anyway.

• Like 3

Yeah, I really do hope these spin-off films work as completely separate films, just placed in the same universe.  So new themes (besides the opening crawl, if there even is one), different tone, different themes.  I don't want it to feel like another prequel.

As for the thread, super excited for the Finding Dory score.  Newman's scores always sound magical. (From Bond to Nemo to Bridge of Spies to Saving Mr. Banks)

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2016 at 10:51 PM, The Panda said:

As for the thread, super excited for the Finding Dory score.  Newman's scores always sound magical. (From Bond to Nemo to Bridge of Spies to Saving Mr. Banks)

I usually seem to end up being underwhelmed by sequels to great original scores. They don't come off as memorable or diverse. Really hoping Newman breaks that trend.

Edited by tribefan695

On 1/14/2016 at 10:51 PM, The Panda said:

Yeah, I really do hope these spin-off films work as completely separate films, just placed in the same universe.  So new themes (besides the opening crawl, if there even is one), different tone, different themes.  I don't want it to feel like another prequel.

Do you think it will even have an opening Crawl? I kind of feel like it should, just because even though it's a spinoff it's still star wars, And I'm not sure it would feel like it otherwise. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

From what I've heard so far this year, John Debney's Jungle Book score is by far the best. The only other ones that have been slightly memorable are Bear McCreary's work on 10 Cloverfield Lane, and a couple tracks from Batman v Superman

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

Nothing great for me so far. Huntsman and Jungle Book had their moments but the latter is horribly derivative.

Presuming you're talking about its reprisal of the Sherman Bros songs, funnily that's one of the reasons I liked it because I felt like even though it was there, it was subtle (with the exception of two moments) and not often used compared to other films using the similar method.

then again different strokes for different folks