1. 1. Grade Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A+  11/10

One of the best blockbusters ever.

B+ 8.5/10 COTP: I was quite surprised by this movie at the time, but gets worse with repeat views.

A+ 11/10 DMC: perfected what was great in COTP (villain, more Jack Sparrow, soundtrack, jokes and visuals).

A- 9/10 AWE: I was super disappointed the first time I watched, I gave a rating of 6.5/10 and joined with deceptions of 2007 (SM3, STT and OOTP), but with time this movie gets so much better, really, MUCH BETTER! pacing issues, some repetitive jokes and and "twists" are overshadowed by the the OMFG INCREDIBLE SCORE, the visuals, the last action sequence one of the best ever and the most important: the big heart, really.

C- 4.5/10 OST: I can't describe how bad it was, the biggest deception of the year of 2011. I HATE you Rob Marshall.

AWE has no heart. Absolutely none. If it`d had any than there would have been tons of Sparrabeth instead of pretending it never happened, Norrington wouldn`t have been killed off, Will wouldn`t have become the Captain of the Flying Dutchman, DJ and Calypso would have had some resolution. Above all that, audience wouldn`t have had to suffer through Knightmare`s bloody awful Braveheart speech.Fuck that movie.

Edited by fishnets

AWE has no heart. Absolutely none. If it`d had any than there would have been tons of Sparrabeth instead of pretending it never happened, Norrington wouldn`t have been killed off, Will wouldn`t have become the Captain of the Flying Dutchman, DJ and Calypso would have had some resolution. Above all that, audience wouldn`t have had to suffer through Knightmare`s bloody awful Braveheart speech.Fuck that movie.

Apart from the Braveheart speech, I'm glad all of those things happened. Where's the fun when everything turns out OK? This a series where obstacles constantly get in the way of character's goals, AWE just took that to the extreme. I like that they have to live with the consequences of their actions.

Apart from the Braveheart speech, I'm glad all of those things happened. Where's the fun when everything turns out OK? This a series where obstacles constantly get in the way of character's goals, AWE just took that to the extreme. I like that they have to live with the consequences of their actions.

LOL, wut? Who has to live with what consequences? Jack came back from the dead so Elizabeth didn`t have to live with any consequence. In fact, Sparrabeth was swept under the rug. Barbossa came back from the dead so Jack didn`t have to live with any consequence either. They started to banter like an old married couple, forgettiing that they were actively trying (and succeeded) to kill one another. Jack conveniently stabbed  DJ heart guiding unconscious Will`s hand so that Will conveniently didn`t have to choose between his father (stab the heart) and Elizabeth (don`t stab the heart). Again, no consequence. Will remains in good standing with everyone cause he didn`t have to make a decision that would alienate one or the other and as a result he kept both of them both (father stays with him, wife waits for him like a nun). Again, very nicey nicey. Big cop outs everywhere. One of rare movies that managed to give a FU to fans while bringing nothing bold on the table.

LOL, wut? Who has to live with what consequences? Jack came back from the dead so Elizabeth didn`t have to live with any consequence. In fact, Sparrabeth was swept under the rug. Barbossa came back from the dead so Jack didn`t have to live with any consequence either. They started to banter like an old married couple, forgettiing that they were actively trying (and succeeded) to kill one another.

OK, these are good points and I acknowledge them.

Jack conveniently stabbed  DJ heart guiding unconscious Will`s hand so that Will conveniently didn`t have to choose between his father (stab the heart) and Elizabeth (don`t stab the heart). Again, no consequence. Will remains in good standing with everyone cause he didn`t have to make a decision that would alienate one or the other and as a result he kept both of them both (father stays with him, wife waits for him like a nun). Again, very nicey nicey. Big cop outs everywhere. One of rare movies that managed to give a FU to fans while bringing nothing bold on the table.

This I disagree with because you're looking at it from the perspective of the wrong character. It's Jack that has to live with the consequence of not having stabbed the heart himself. Immortality and being forever at sea was within reach, but DJ got in the way. So he had to make the decision and made Will stab the heart. He lost out so Will could live. And just because Will now gets to live doesn't mean his life becomes all rosy, he still spends a decade at sea and only gets to see Elizabeth and his son once every decade.
  • Like 1

OK, these are good points and I acknowledge them.This I disagree with because you're looking at it from the perspective of the wrong character. It's Jack that has to live with the consequence of not having stabbed the heart himself. Immortality and being forever at sea was within reach, but DJ got in the way. So he had to make the decision and made Will stab the heart. He lost out so Will could live. And just because Will now gets to live doesn't mean his life becomes all rosy, he still spends a decade at sea and only gets to see Elizabeth and his son once every decade.

See, I never bought into Jack`s talk about immortlaity. It was never fleshed out but, IMO, just thrown in so that they could justify why Will the Pussy wouldn`t choose between his father and his girlfriend. I think that there was an intirguing idea somewhere to deal with Jack`s PTSD but that was drown in slapstick (multiple Jacks) and overall went nowhere.

Also, my problem with the whole Will as the captain of the Flying Dutchman situation is that it was way shoe-horned and artifically done. It never felt organic and that`s because Will had absolutely no paralels with DJ. They had to create them forcibly and that didn`t stick because it wa sjust smoke and mirrors. There are several characters whose tansformation would have bene organic but he definitely wasn`t it. I felt like they went "Oh, he played immortal Elf, lets make him immortal again."

To be fair I didn't see Norrington making it througn AWE, I just expected something better than the bitch death he got.

A more "classical," though probably cheesy approach would have had Norrington stab the heart before DJ kills Will so Elizabeth could have her happiness, since Norrington's as much in love with her as Will is.

one thing I hated about the third movie is that they made every pirate a "Good guy". I understand characters Jack Sparrow or Gibbs who are more like Han Soloish type people, but making every single pirate "good" even though most of them are probably of the murdering, raping, pillaging type? That was ridiculous. 

• Like 1

To be fair I didn't see Norrington making it througn AWE, I just expected something better than the bitch death he got.

A more "classical," though probably cheesy approach would have had Norrington stab the heart before DJ kills Will so Elizabeth could have her happiness, since Norrington's as much in love with her as Will is.

Now that you mentioned it, Norrington as Captain of the Flying Dutchman makes perfect sense because his story matches DJ`s to a T with a twist - unlike DJ who inprisoned Calypso in human body so that no man could have her, Norrington set Elizabeth free to go with Will. It`s organic and comes from the character instead of changing the character to fit the plot.

one thing I hated about the third movie is that they made every pirate a "Good guy". I understand characters Jack Sparrow or Gibbs who are more like Han Soloish type people, but making every single pirate "good" even though most of them are probably of the murdering, raping, pillaging type? That was ridiculous. 

Tell me about it. They even made Barbossa a good freedom fighter as if COTBP never happened. Notice how Barbossa never met with Bootstrap face to face after what he did to him. They swept that under the rug. The whole idea that pirates were freedom-fighters was ridiculous beyond imagination. And making Royal Navy the bad guy that hangs kids really pissed off many Brits. Such an awful, misguided movie.

Edited by fishnets

Tell me about it. They even made Barbossa a good freedom fighter as if COTBP never happened. Notice how Barbossa never met with Bootstrap face to face after what he did to him. They swept that under the rug. The whole idea that pirates were freedom-fighters was ridiculous beyond imagination. And making Royal Navy the bad guy that hangs kids really pissed off many Brits. Such an awful, misguided movie.

Not the royal navy, the East India Trading Company. And what large corporation isn't evil?  :P

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest isn't nearly as bad as I remember. Verbinski still directs with panache, coming up with endlessly creative elements of this world, and the main trio all still are compelling characters. Davy Jones is a fantastic villain, enhanced by still stunning visual effects and a strong performance by Nighy. The setpieces in this are still fantastic, although the film takes about an hour to really get going. All the elements added work well together, with the exception of a profoundly stupid love triangle subplot for Elizabeth which is insulting to both the audience and the characters. The third act is appropriately spectacular, but disappointing in resolution (as to be expected, although not entirely welcome, what with the two-part set up between this and At World's End). That said the final minute of this works more than ten years after release to get the audience ridiculously excited to watch the next film. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is still an excellent take on this franchise, thanks to Verbinski's wacky vision and the cast being game for whatever's thrown their way. B