filmnerdjamie

Wednesday Numbers (05/15)(Trek 3.25M early IMAX+midnts, GG 3.9, IM3 3.8)

Good WOM will allow for good legs, but unlike 2009 ST2 is not the movie of the month. 

The problem is I don't see many people talking about this movie. No it won't get "bad" WOM, but I'm not sure it will get much of any WOM at all. Unlike ST09, it won't be a conversation maker. It could be in deep trouble if it really only does 85m for the 4 day.

I don't know, my gut tells me most of the industry is not going to accurately predict how much business will go up on Friday. The release date change wasn't even mentioned in the marketing until what, a week ago?

That's the only excuse I'll use, though. I'll be damned if I turn Star Trek into a plan B film.  :P

• Like 1

Maybe Trek should've opened last May.  :ph34r:

It really should have opened May '11. I feel like that's when the general public was expecting it and would have been most hyped for it. This should be Star Trek 3 opening right now.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

Maybe Trek should've opened last May.  :ph34r:

Yeah, with the weak competitions last May, Trek could have co-exist well with TA. It's a maybe though.

I don't know, my gut tells me most of the industry is not going to accurately predict how much business will go up on Friday. The release date change wasn't even mentioned in the marketing until what, a week ago?

That's the only excuse I'll use, though. I'll be damned if I turn Star Trek into a plan B film.  :P

Yep. Not making excuses for it, but I do think that's a genuine possibility too. People just didn't know enough about the release change and it could blow up on Friday. We'll see.

I went to a late night showing and it had about 20 people in a theatre for 200, it got a good reception but I guess we were the diehards. It certainly doesn't feel "movie of the month" though in terms of buzz. I worry that its going straight from Iron Man to FF6 with TGG syphoning off all the extra.

That said I'd be surprised if the 4 day went as low as $84 million.

I don't know, my gut tells me most of the industry is not going to accurately predict how much business will go up on Friday. The release date change wasn't even mentioned in the marketing until what, a week ago?That's the only excuse I'll use, though. I'll be damned if I turn Star Trek into a plan B film. :P

I agree.