filmnerdjamie

Wednesday Numbers (05/15)(Trek 3.25M early IMAX+midnts, GG 3.9, IM3 3.8)

Opening up a can of worms here, but I'd argue the 4 year gap is part of the reason why even TDKR didn't live up to a lot of people's expectations. The GA is simply bound to become at least a little uninterested in a franchise after that much time between installments.

It's good that TA2 has only 3 year gap. :D

Is it screwed yet?

Not yet but BTC numbers aren't good. They've been spot on the with IM3 and TGG. If the 85M for 4-day projected by them  comes true that would be below ST-09. I'm screwed in Baumer's game.  :stretcher:

• Like 1

I hope it will get no delay and be released right on schedule with that May 1st date. I seriously can't stand to wait longer if they delay it.

Okay, I can of course, but I just don't want to  :P

If Trek disapoints, a blame should be put on the over predictions and the release date. Marketing has been good in general, but it didn't generate much buzz.

Edited by jandrew

I think the Trek2 numbers will be the real test of BTC. I thought them predicting 50 for TGG was somewhat crazy and they came in right on the money.

Looking at their breakdowns predicted on Friday for TGG and IM3

TGG Predicted: 50: 17/19/14. Actual: 50: 19/17/14

IM3 Predicted 174.1  70/59.5/44.6    Actual 174.1 69/62/43

They have been extrapolating well so far.

I thought BO doesn't equate to quality?

Well the reality is, it opened huge and it played well withe the general audiences.

People on these forums have time to bitch about all the faults of IM3, forgetting the film never really took it self seriously. 

TA2 is a completely different ballgame compared to any other movie, because it'll have IM3, TTDW, CATWS, and GOTG in the 24 months preceding it.

This business of multiple big blockbuster movies per year all set in the same universe is just something radically different that the movie business has never seen before.

I thought most of the marketing was really good

HOWEVER, I've always felt it was a mistake to hide the fact that

Cumberbatch was playing Khan

What good did that do the movie?

• Like 2

Well the reality is, it opened huge and it played well withe the general audiences.

People on these forums have time to bitch about all the faults of IM3, forgetting the film never really took it self seriously. 

and that was a problem in my opinion.

Also, let's not forget, IM3 is not some underdog movie that came out of nowhere to make money. It is playing like a sequel to Avengers which increased the hype by far.

TA2 has buildup with IM3, Thor 2 and CA2 and GOTG equaling likely around 2.5 billion in business.

Now of course there is a good chance TA 2 will fall domestically, but I imagine Marvel is going $$$$$$$$$$$$$ at the overseas results. 

Edited by Lordmandeep