filmnerdjamie

Wednesday Numbers (05/15)(Trek 3.25M early IMAX+midnts, GG 3.9, IM3 3.8)

Plus you have the first real family film of the season coming out next weekend.  That's 11,000 theaters playing three new movies.  Even if Epic only makes 20 mill, that's still about 200-225 mill.

Honestly, that just validates the decision to release on Thursday. That's an easy extra $15m or so they got before the bloodbath.
  • Like 1

Will check this out after theaters.

Its a war between my friends between hangover 3 of Fast Six next weekend for me. 

In the end it boils down to what birthday boy wants next week.

Would prefer fast Six. 

wasn't there some thread that was called something like "Star Trek over Iron Man 3 academy"?

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/7474-star-trek-into-darkness-iron-man-3-academy-domestic-op-bails-abandon-ship/

Seems so funny in retrospect, doesn't it? Actually, I was laughing at it from the beginning but the "In" crowd thought it was a happening thing.  :rofl:

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm not surprised STID could be sorta underperforming* compared to lofty expectations. The marketing is just not "getting over" at the level it should with audiences. There should be way more hype for a film's sequel that had that kind of WOM and the long 4 year wait(not to mention the great reviews). I think this could be a case of being too secretive about a film. Plus it just looks kinda "been there, done that". I should be more excited but I haven't been since the I saw the derivative first poster and heard about the unwieldy title.

Still, I'll  hopefully be seeing this tomorrow...

*250m+ instead of 300m+

It's sort of Iron Man 2 all over again for Paramount, though ST2 is getting a lot better critical reception. Mediocre marketing. Lazy assumption by the studio that just because people loved the first one they'll show up in massive numbers for the sequel.

It's sort of Iron Man 2 all over again for Paramount, though ST2 is getting a lot better critical reception. Mediocre marketing. Lazy assumption by the studio that just because people loved the first one they'll show up in massive numbers for the sequel.

I don't think the marketing's been poor at all. The trailers have been solid to excellent, the TV spots are everywhere... obviously the late-release date change screws things up a bit, but that's more of an OD thing only.
  • Like 1

I don't think the marketing's been poor at all. The trailers have been solid to excellent, the TV spots are everywhere... obviously the late-release date change screws things up a bit, but that's more of an OD thing only.

The marketing material has been nowhere near as compelling at ST1.

Saw Gatsby today. My theater was dead, dead, dead. I think it started off with 5 people in the theater when it was over there two.

:lol: So they didn't like it? How about you, E?

Marketing is good but not successful in breaking the brand out 

:lol: So they didn't like it? How about you, E?

I really liked it. The director did a fabulous job. I watched it in 3D. All the other Gatsby movies have been boring. This really caught the essence of the book.

• Like 1