theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

As I've said elsewhere, this has been extremely common in the past, although less so in recent years.

I'm pretty sure the reason for this is that OWs have gotten considerably more important to a film's performance over the last 30 years. The extremely well liked films in the past ended up with 15-20+ multipliers off their OW. Even when their predecessors delivered record breaking OWs, they'd still require at least a 10 multiplier, which was a hard barrier to crack, even in the 80s. (Also, the sequels tending to be fucking terrible didn't help)

You can see the tide start to turn even as early as the mid 90s, and now, Pirates—the film that has the most in common with 80s WOM hits like Crocodile Dundee and Ghostbusters—can get "only" a 6.5 multiplier. It's a much easier hurdle for a sequel to overcome, even when the WOM for it isn't great.

• Like 2

I can't remember where I posted it -- probably in the Wednesday numbers thread -- but I checked the "best" and biggest of the old Trek films, and they all adjust to around $260m or so (including TREK 09). There might be a natural limit here that the series has not yet broken.

Umm...STID has the same new millenium look and it's certainly not the same old same old. The trailers were amazing. Whatever is causing the lower than expected numbers has nothing to do with the marketing or, obviously, film quality.

I meant millenium feel as in STID and ST09. They both feel a lot different than the Trek of the 90's with Patrick Stewart Edited by jandrew

You guys got RTH to report early.

RTH reports latter and gives more accurate numbers.

THAT IS WHAT YOU GET FOR TEMPtING THE LORD!!!! 

:angry:

:lol:

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

People are acting like these numbers are set in stone. Last time I checked Friday hasn't finished, heck it's not even nighttime yet.....

Yep. Plus the Saturday increase could really go in any direction, since the Thursday/Friday opening is a pretty unusual situation.

People are acting like these numbers are set in stone. Last time I checked Friday hasn't finished, heck it's not even nighttime yet.....

Oh, they are definitely not set in stone. It is very likely that it will do less than 25M on Friday.

Oh, they are definitely not set in stone. It is very likely that it will do less than 25M on Friday.

I'm not sure how you could know that. The Thursday numbers really have no bearing on the Friday numbers in a situation like this.