theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

Making the film was still a risk. Imagine if TASM had bombed and Sony was forced to halt sequel production and lose the rights anyway? 

Well, in that regard every single movie is risky. Sony didn't have the choice. Lose the rights by doing nothing at the risk of getting bankrupt losing the studio or keep milking a lucrative franchise with merchandising and tie-ins to lighten the costs. Make your choice but the latter is less risky business wise.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

I don't entirely understand the Avengers/Star Trek comparison. Avengers was the first movie featuring all the heroes together in one film, so of course the focus would be on them. Star Trek did that in the last film, I don't see why they needed to do it again with this one.

• Like 1

I don't entirely understand the Avengers/Star Trek comparison. Avengers was the first movie featuring all the heroes together in one film, so of course the focus would be on them. Star Trek did that in the last film, I don't see why they needed to do it again with this one.

How about IM as a comparison then, with IM3 giving ample focus on Tony/Pepper relationship and to a lesser extent, Tony/Rhodes. Thor 2 will most likely have Thor/Loki all over its successive trailers. STID should have put Enterprise crew first and foremost in trailers. The characters and actors deserved that much.

Let's be honest here the Spider Man name has been one of the most popular franchises in last 20 years. Star Trek has never reach that kind of popularity. So a reboot of Spiderman is always going to do better than a reboot of Star Trek especially internationally

• Like 3

I just realized IM3 increased to 9.2 million!! :huh:

Epic result.

34+ weekend locked. 

IM3 is the phoenix of this month, agonizing on weekdays, rebirthing during the weekend with a big middle finger at those who project its premature death after its weekly hybernation  :lol:  

• Like 4

TASM more so because it was a big budget reboot nobody but hard to please fanboys had asked for coming incredibly close on the heels of the first trilogy. A first. 

No. Spider-man brand is so ginormous, losing it always been riskier.

Let's be honest here the Spider Man name has been one of the most popular franchises in last 20 years. Star Trek has never reach that kind of popularity. So a reboot of Spiderman is always going to do better than a reboot of Star Trek especially internationally

True, Spidey is so damn irresistible!

Posted Image

But my point wasn't that TASM reboot was riskier than ST reboot, baumer. :P

Sorry I am on my phone so I have not had time to read the last few pages. What was your point then spideyfreak?

No. Spider-man brand is so ginormous, losing it always been riskier.

Losing it after losing a shipload of cash would have been more disastrous, which was exactly what would have happened if TASM had bombed. And last year, a majority at BOM were unmovable in their belief that it would do just that! 

Back to lousy territory for STID. :unsure: You know something is wrong when Rth's having a hard time tracking you.

9.2M for IM3, about 180% jump. Looking good for 35M-37M weekend.  :D  :D  :D

• Like 1