druv10

Wednesday: Hangover 3 ($3.1m Wed+Thu sneaks), STID 5.3M, TGG 2.3M, IM3 2.2M

• Founder / Operator

If action's your thing then STID will mostly please you. If story or characters are your thing then stay away. :)

Relative to what though? I don't think anyone expected an Alexander Payne movie here. :P

• Like 1

Relative to what though? I don't think anyone expected an Alexander Payne movie here. :P

Relative to old Star Trek, Trek '09, Iron Man 3, Fast & Furious 6.. a lot of movies. 

IMO. 

:lol:

• Like 2

If action's your thing then STID will mostly please you. If story or characters are your thing then stay away. :)

I don't even give the action that much credit!

So basically go see Furious 6 instead djdunkeykong.  Some of the best action you can find, and character beats and twists that make sense in this crazy universe they have created.

• Like 1

Old Trek, sure, but...  :huh:

Trek '09 has such a great pace and dynamic between the ensemble (not to mention some stellar action beats) that I'm more or less okay that the timeline stuff doesn't really work very well. 

STID is an aggressively, tragically stupid movie that reduces most of the Enterprise crewmembers to bit players around a WOK retread that doesn't make sense as an homage or as its own story. 

IMO. 

Wait wait wait.... I'm perfectly willing to admit STID has flaws, even significant ones. But "reducing the crewmembers to bit players", especially compared to old Trek movies? Uhura did more in STID than she did in all the old Treks combined. Chekov wasn't quite as front-and-center as he was in TWOK, but it was about relative with ST4 and more than the others. Scotty has more to do as well.

The old Treks -- for the most part -- focused on the holy trinity and little else. One of the positives about the Abrams reboots is that they've distributed character bits/tasks/moments to shine far more equitably among the whole crew.

• Like 10

The only character I honestly wanted more of in STID was McCoy, but I realized that Abrams changed the trinity from Kirk-Spock-Bones to Kirk-Spock-Uhura and then I didn't mind that much anymore, since Uhura's pretty awesome too.

• Like 1

IM3 has a very satisfying arc for Tony. STiD has actors trying their best to overcompensate for a crap script. When the script is that bad there's only so much you can overcompensate for. The cast deserved far better.

• Like 1

Chekov wasn't quite as front-and-center as he was in TWOK, but it was about relative with ST4 and more than the others.

I'm pretty sure Chekov doesn't appear for like an hour straight in the heart of the film. Not even a quick cutaway for a line. It certainly seemed like that.

• Founder / Operator

STID has more character than the average blockbuster; definitely more than IM3. The characters are the main appeal of it. :lol:

Passionately agreed. At the risk of playing to a fan war, I won't compare to other blockbusters with rabid fans around here (:P), but, these two sentences in bold are spot-on. Take away Kirk, Spock, et al, and you remove the soul of Trek--whether its old Trek or Abrams Trek.

• Like 3