#ED

Weekend Estimate #s FF6: 34.5 NYSM 27.8 AE: 27.3 TH3: 15.9

How to Train Your Dragon 2, The Good Dinosaur (Pixar)

Popular as How to Train Your Dragon is... they might have waited too long, a la Star Trek.

Got good vibes off The Good Dinosaur. Pixar laying off the sequels and going back to original storytelling that made them the powerhouse they are. Also what kid wouldn't want a pet dinosaur and they're giving it the same slot as Up. A good sign.

Edited by filmnerdjamie

• Founder / Operator

It has potential too increase. People who act like it is a guaranteed failure are completely wrong. They are letting their own dislike of the film cloud judgment and act as if everyone felt the same way

That's true, but to be fair, there are those who act like it's a guaranteed huge blockbuster just because of the franchise's past history and the sequel's release date. We have to keep all scenarios on the table, and there's a clear question mark around the series' momentum. It could one way or the other right now.

Right now, I think two fair comparisons are Origins: Wolverine and Mission: Impossible 3. Both were sequels to divisive franchise movies, and both opened on the same May weekend.

Not shabby at all. But the momentum of the brand on film is still in question.

Agreed. I don't see any indications that WOM for it was strong enough to automatically assume the follow up will gross $300m, even with a better release date. It comes down to how well the villains are marketed.

I will admit to some (possibly) unfair pessimism based on those images released online. :P

• Founder / Operator

Before we've seen anything from next summer's slate, I'd personally like to give HTTYD2 the edge when it comes to predicting the highest grossing film, simply because of the goodwill from the original. 

I keep forgetting about that. Definitely a contender, but I'll stay conservative for now until we see how this summer's animated sequels do. After KFP2 and, to a lesser extent, Cars 2, I'm nervous to expect too much from most animated sequels.

• Like 1

I think people are at a loss regarding the audience appeal of Dave Batista and a space raccoon.

The raccoon is gonna be HUGE with kids. And there's no animated films in July. Not hard to do the math there

If Sony really thought they had something in This is the End, they would move it to August. Placing it the same weekend as Man of Steel (increasingly looking like a monster hit) whiffs of dumping.

They'd have to compete with the similarly themed The World's End.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Don't think so, it comes out two weeks after Fast VII. People will have had their Johnson fill for the month.

They should have kept it in August

Seeing as how Johnson has starred in three films over the two months with the third being by far the most successful--on top of the fact that he's not the star of F7--I don't agree with that analysis. If anything, it could be argued there will be demand to see him leading a movie. Not supporting one.

Completely agreed, with possible exception to Jupiter Ascending -- but that's it.

The Wachowskis are due a comeback hit (not unlike Snder and Superman), Tatum is a movie star and that mid/late July slot. That and... just a gut feeling. What's driving me to this.

Seeing as how Johnson has starred in three films over the two months with the third being by far the most successful--on top of the fact that he's not the star of F7--I don't agree with that analysis. If anything, it could be argued there will be demand to see him leading a movie. Not supporting one.

Three films? Snitch, GI Joe, Pain & Gain, and Fast 6.

Popular as How to Train Your Dragon is... they might have waited too long, a la Star Trek.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Dragons tv show? I think this will be a case where kids will get their fill of Dragons every week on tv. Or at the very least parents will be used to kids watching Dragons for free on tv. I think the tv show will limit the really big potential for HTTYD2.