Twelve Monkeys (1995)

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

As time-travel stories go, I liked that one very much. Captivating performances from Pitt and Willis, and I liked the overall intensity and the claustrophopbic camera/light. Very good and ingenious production design as usual with Gilliam, but in 12 Monkeys he also managed to keep everything under perfect control - he's a bit of a hit-and-miss director imho. Highly recommended, even if the rewatch-value is not that high (knowing about all the twists takes away some of the fun, still rewatchable for the great performances)

Never really liked Bruce Willis as an actor, but yesterday I was faced with choosing between The Assassination of Jesse James and this. I decided to take this only to make my friend happy, who is a big Willis fan.I thought it would suck. It was very interesting at the beginning, but only did this movie make me sad when it ended, especially seeing the way he died and failed, but it managed to make me like Bruce Willis... a bit. I think the scene with him in the car listening to "What a wonderful world" is one that made me realize that that man really had some acting talent, but that he used it wrong.

Anyways, back to the movie. Great story, great acting. I didn't really like the score. Brad Pitt got a deserved Oscar Nomination for this. One of his best roles, ever, if not the best.

A

i wonder how many people have seen la jetée then? ;)

I have seen it in one of my cinema classes. Gilliam's take is a brilliant re-imagination and expands quite well on the same time loop premise. Chris Marker's is much more abstract and experimental due to the way he told the story through B & W still photographs and voice-over like a recollection of fragmented memories. Gilliam is much more Baroque flair with surrealist touches and emphasizes on the emotional journey with Madeleine Stowe's character which is much more than a ghost memory anchor in this movie. One of Willis best performance.

And I love Astor Piazzola's music.

I just hope Gilliam's Zero Theorem can soar to Brazil and 12 Monkeys height because Gilliam and Scifi is a win.

A++

Edited by dashrendar44