#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

Let's just hope that no studio ever gets an idea similar to the WB+WM partnerhip....ever

At this point I think we all know it's coming. I expect a Target and Disney or Paramount deal soon. Maybe for Thor.
  • Like 2

Well Walmart has muscled its way into the box office. Can't help but talk about it especially if it's the future business model for studios going forward. Disney has it's own promotional juggernaut so it doesn't matter to them. But I can see Paramount,Universal etc looking for partners after WB's successful.

• Like 1

Off topic but if the estimates from BO.com hold, those are some impressive holds for NYSM, STiD, and IM3. Good for FF6 and Epic too. As well as hilarious drop for AE and THO3  :lol:

• Like 4

It's called a promotion.  You give away free stuff in the hope that it will lure people in to buy other stuff.  It happens all the time.

Usually those promotions have strings whereby you need to purchase a certain amount of merchandise to be eligible. Or, the store just discounts some over-priced item to a lesser (but still profit generating) price. In this case, we know what it cost to make (purchase) the ticket....$12 per ticket. There seemed to be no requirement to purchase a certain amount to be eligible for the discount tickets. So this does not happen all the time.

Walmart took a bath on the deal anyway because they had to give away a lot of the tickets because they couldn't sell them. But, I am trying to figure out what the deal was in the first place. Because from what has been posted about it, it makes zero sense.

Thor should open up to more than MoS?It's a sequel + "Dat Avengers Effect" ...

I'm thinking more of like Skyfall numbers..... and an opening between 90-100

Edited by BoxOfficeAmateur

Thor should open up to more than MoS?It's a sequel + "Dat Avengers Effect" ...

Thor has never and never will be more popular than Superman. But it could who knows.

Just as Friday's number shocked a lot of people, Saturday could be even higher, and Sunday is father's day, so MOS could be looking at a very large June opening weekend records plus $12 million of chump change for the overall total.

Wonder if this ever happens again (The WM fiasco) if studios will ask for more money so they can break records and still be able to say that it was legit...

It was a business deal pure and simple.