MovieGuyKyle17

James Franco Seeks Crowdfunding for "Palo Alto" films.....

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/james-franco-crowdfunding-palo-alto-film-trio-adapted-from-his-own-book/

James Franco has launched a new crowdfunding project to finance three feature films about teenage life in his hometown of Palo Alto, CA, adapted from his own 2010 book of short stories, Palo Alto. The multihyphenate has tapped Nina Ljeti, Vladimir Bourdeau, Bruce Thierry Cheung, and Gabriel Demestree to direct and is seeking to raise $500K viaIndiegogo to split evenly between the trio of projects. “Because of who I am, people often believe that it is easy to find investors and distributors for my films. Unfortunately, things aren’t that easy,” he writes on the campaign’s page. “More times than not, I have put in my own money to produce my films and my students’ films. However, this time it’s different; we need more funding. I will still fund part of it, but I need of your help; filming three feature films back-to-back requires more funding than I can give.”

The films are aiming to shoot by August before hitting the festival circuit in search of distribution. Donation rewards range from behind the scenes updates and a shooting script PDF ($10) to a personalized video from Franco ($300) to an EP credit and private dinner ($10,000). The Indiegogo campaign ends July 17. Check out Franco’s fundraising video:

Question, just on the heals of Zach Braff doing the funding at KickStarter....Is it really hard for even celebrities to get backing for their films or is James Franco and other celebrities trying to take advance of the public trust??

The latter. I think he is rich enough to help funding a movie and seeks investors on his name without resorting to this. I bet he thinks it is the easier way.

So if crowd-racketting existed back in the day, those beginners like Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson and James Cameron would have just fund their debut feature with Kickstarter with gullible audience that had to pay twice to make the movie, then to see it without earning any backends. Without working their asses off to convince banks, studio executives and producers, you know those that are supposed to fund movies.

Edited by dashrendar44

Rich people that ask regular people to fund their vanity project. Not a big deal but still presumptuous nonetheless.

Not really.  They ask.  No one responds.

They don't ask again. 

If you don't ask, you don't know.

People already answered and gave money before, why not again because I'm (*insert random Hollywood actor* with a vanity project)? That's the reasoning.

Even if Franco doesn't earn enough money to fund his project, that won't stop his ilks to seek crowdfunding.

Edited by dashrendar44

Youve seen The Matrix dash. This is all about choices nobody is forcing anyone to do anything here

Lol. Illusion of choice. The power of compliance. I don't see or blame Franco himself, I blame the whole system. If he was an unknown struggling director, why not? But no, I got a problem with wealthy people cadging pennies to fund their pet project. That just rubs me the wrong way man. ;)

• Like 2

Franco probably can't find funding for his next picture because all the movies he's directed so far are apparently self-indulgent garbage that never played outside a film festival.

Posted Image

What's next? Shyamalan cadging people to fund his next project because of After Earth's BO failure?

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

As of 2010, James Franco was worth $20 million.  He will appear in 10 movies this year alone.  No thanks. 

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/james-franco-net-worth/

And that's a perfectly acceptable response.  We all have a choice here.