baumer

Tues #s RTH

There is no more competition now than there was in 2007. 

Well, that's not quite true. There were only six films that opened on 2000 screens in May 2007, versus nine in May 2013

Stop, it's not like SM3 opened in the 90s

It is a fact that films keep getting more and more frontloaded. Just look at the phenoms SM1, TDK, and Avengers. All opened to record-breaking grosses with amazing WOM. But look at the declining multiplier. Bigger and bigger openings, but weaker legs even with similar WOM.

2002 - $114.8m opening, 3.52 multiplier

2008 - $158.4m opening, 3.36 multiplier

2012 - $207.4m opening, 3.00 multiplier

• Like 8

IM3 hits 400 and the haters come out.

Most people liked it. Deal with it!

I don't even care. The things haters are saying are just noise to me right now  :)

I originally thought IM3 would do 360M, now it crossed 400M and more; so it exceeded my expectations, and as a fan, I'm happy. Then we have that 1.2B number worldwide that's worth celebrating about.

Not to mention, for me, RDJ's performance as Tony Stark in IM3 was the best in all his outings, couldn't ask for anything better than that  :wub:

• Like 6

IM3 hits 400 and the haters come out.

Most people liked it. Deal with it!

again, I thought box office doesn't equate to quality? Iron Man 3 seems to be one of the only movies where it does 

Edited by Robert Muldoon

I don't even care. The things haters are saying are just noise to me right now  :)

I originally thought IM3 would do 360M, now it crossed 400M and more; so it exceeded my expectations, and as a fan, I'm happy. Then we have that 1.2B number worldwide that's worth celebrating about.

Not to mention, for me, RDJ's performance as Tony Stark in IM3 was the best in all his outings, couldn't ask for anything better than that  :wub:

:bravo:

again, I thought box office doesn't equate to quality? Iron Man 3 seems to be one of the only movies where it does 

Then let's not keep harping on its "weak multiplier" indicating that people didn't like it, mmkay? It goes both ways

• Like 3

It doesn't, but I'd still say that it was liked. IMDb may not be the best barometer but it does have 7.6 there, not too shabby.

Simply put im3 opened much bigger then expected and hot worse legs then expected.

I would not say it opened bigger than expected(avengers did). I think big % of folks expected it to open around these numbers. MTC aced it at 174M(BTC at 180M as well). it did not get as good a reception as avengers(I must admit I liked it more as it was more personal than Avengers). So did not get as good a multiplier as what was expected(I thought it will hit 2.5x and may be total around TDKR).

Basically IM3 had shit repeat viewings.

Basically it made $230M after its OW

Avengers/TDK type legs after a massive OW are the outliers, not the norm

• Like 5

This is not true. Have you looked at its screen count each week? For the weekend ending June 2nd (IM3's 5th weekend), it was still playing on 4300 screens. That is 300 more screens than TDKR, which faced much weaker competition on paper and still ended up with a lower screen count that late in each film's run.

Posted Image

It is a fact that films keep getting more and more frontloaded. Just look at the phenoms SM1, TDK, and Avengers. All opened to record-breaking grosses with amazing WOM. But look at the declining multiplier. Bigger and bigger openings, but weaker legs even with similar WOM.

2002 - $114.8m opening, 3.52 multiplier

2008 - $158.4m opening, 3.36 multiplier

2012 - $207.4m opening, 3.00 multiplier

I'll  addimit, IM3 multi is better, but just a bit.

Edited by Goffe