CJohn

Wednesday Numbers | Despicable Me 2 - 34M | The Lone Ranger - 9.67M | Kevin Hart - 4.9M

Anyone else find it interesting that 2013 features the proverbial nail in the coffin for both Will Smith and Johnny Depp in terms of their drawing power in North America? Those guys were at the top of the A list a few years ago. Not the case anymore.

I don't think Will Smith is done though. Johnny Depp I'm not too sure about him. He's always been a quirk.

• Like 2

No Disney is like Henry Hill in Goodfellas after his parents found out he hadn't been to school in months. IN MONTHS!!!!! Every now and then you have to take a beating

• Like 2

I don't think Will Smith is done though. Johnny Depp I'm not too sure about him. He's always been a quirk.

In terms of being able to open a movie with good numbers just because his name is on it, Big Willie is done. So is Johnny. Denzel and Leo seem to be the two names that are enduring the most right now. You can always count on Denzel to pick projects that aren't so bloated that they have no chance of success (like TLR) and he usually picks solid scripts too, so his projects usually end up with good quality and box office staying power.

• Like 3

Anyone else find it interesting that 2013 features the proverbial nail in the coffin for both Will Smith and Johnny Depp in terms of their drawing power in North America? Those guys were at the top of the A list a few years ago. Not the case anymore.

Smith just had a decent sized hit last year. Depp's been on the downtrend for a while, his schtick has become redundant.

Smith still has mass appeal in the right roles, but he needs to grow as his fan base grows. FRESH PRINCES ended nearly 20 years ago. ID4 and MIB are both 15 years old. It's not the mid to late 1990s any more where he is truly 'fresh'.

His fans have grown up, his films should as well.

technically you could argue something like Dark Shadows (a movie based on a TV series that no one has heard of) would have bombed harder if Depp hadn't been in it

Actually back in the day Dark Shadows was quite popular