Plain Old Tele

Much Ado about Nothing (2013)

Much Ado about Nothing (2013)  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Grade: A-

The Joss Whedon directed, dominantly acted by Whedon-alums, play of one of Shakespeares' more well known comedies. The last time I saw this was the Kenneth Branagh version with Kate Beckinsale that used a more period appropriate setting for when it was written. To say I'd gone stale on it is fair. 

I do believe that this play will no forever be stuck with me. I hadn't realized the simplicity of this story at it's core. Two people, in love with each other, but stubborn enough to deny themselves the freedom to admit their feelings and must be tricked into expressing those emotions to each other. 

All the while a jealous brother plots to embarrass and plant seeds of doubt among the love lorn. 

Bias, aside, that I may have as a fan of these actors I do believe it would be a shame if some mention is not given for Alexis Denisoff and/or Amy Acker in their lead roles here as Benedict and Beatrice. Both give great performances and carry the weight of the story gracefully and with much charm and charisma. 

Nathan Fillion and Tom Lenk also get special mention as the constable and deputy pair that are quite the pair. Really, it's all well done. You need NOT be a Whedon fan to enjoy this but if you are then you should see it if you can find it playing nearby to your location. 

It does have a modern place setting, and guns are used in place of swords. It is all shot in Black & White which I felt also gave it a more classical and elegant feeling. 

"Much Ado About Nothing" was a very delightful movie-going experience for me. With the exception of Hero's slut-shaming and the resulting fallout, I smiled and giggled from the first frame until the last. As many critics have noted, the tone of the film is a homage to the screwball comedies of the 1940s, which in turn sought inspiration from the works of Ye Olde Shakey. So, now we have come full circle.

The film is beautiful to watch. It's shot in this soft B&W that lends a timeless, dream-like quality to the proceedings, which essentially consist of one long fiesta at paterfamilias Leonato's SoCal mansion (for the record, I want Joss Whedon's house). Everyone is constantly drinking (which explains much of the ridiculous behavior), and carousing, and having a great time.

It shows in the looseness of performances, which run the gamut from exceptional to mediocre. The standout is geek goddess and leading lady, Amy Acker, who just kills it as Beatrice. Her proto-feminist "Were I a man" speech is so raw and powerful that I sincerely hope she garners some award buzz at the the end of year.

My favorite things about "Much Ado," besides Amy, are all the humorous little touches: frat boy Claudio wearing a snorkel in a small pool, popinjay Benedick doing calisthenics while attempting to woo Beatrice, "plain-dealing villain" Don John eating a cupcake after the wedding implodes, the hapless Dogberry and Verges locking their keys in the car, and so forth. Pure Joss, and pure gold.

Oh, and the jazzed-up version of "Sigh No More" by brother Jed and sister-in-law Maurissa is simply AMAZEBALLS.

Go see this film! NAOW!

A

Whedon can pretty much do no wrong. While the entire cast was awesome, Fillion and Acker were easily my favorites. My only qualm was that I wish he could of completed the Angel triangle (since he got Fred and Wesley, the only thing he needed was Gunn), but that's just a "what if" and nothing more.

9/10

Saw this today and found it really charming and after the first 10-minutes or so of getting used to the dialogue, really got into it. And as other said, the comedy really worked and flowed well. Loved Alexis Denisof and Amy Acker in their roles and yes, Nathan Fillion was great in his small part.

****/*****, (B+, 7.8/10, 3/4)

what a nice nice movie

Joss can really do no wrong!

& the music used was top notch esp in the 'funeral scene'

I still smile thinking abt it :wub: I never watched Angel & havent seen the leads in anything. they were charming & had amazing chem.

Not to mention Clark Gregg is 1 charming man

#Coulsonlives :P

A

Edited by Tauriel

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'm biased since I was in a production of this last year and it just made me nostalgic. Still, it was fun and the cast does a great job bring the classic words to life, even in the modern setting. Good time A