Biggestgeekever

Wkend #s: 82.5 DM2, 29.4 TFR, 25 Heat, 19.6 MU

Pixar is horrible. They have fooled all of u into thinking they make good films.

Ok I can get you not liking Pixar but you can't objectively say they make horrible films. Audiences and critics appreciate them. 

No way TLR drops 60%. Those who have seen it like it and its not a sequel. And i dont think DM2 WILL drop that softly.

TLR has a B+ CinemaScore (so did John Carter) - both mainly appeal to older people

DM2 has an A CinemaScore (so did Toy Story 3) - both mainly appeal to everyone

Plus its Wed-Thurs grosses softened the blow for its 2nd weekend so 50-55 million is very doable with the WOM and lack of competition (Pacific Rim and Grown Ups 2 aren't direct threats to Despicable Me 2)

But they aren't one hit wonders? Hop and The Lorax were big commercial hits.

Pixar has been steadily making hit after hit for 18 years. 

Illumination is an upstart. They do exceptionally well

with Gru/Minions but what else they can do?

Did Pixar release a "SqueezeToy Aliens" spin-off

after the wild success of TOY STORY?

Illumination got talent but a spin-off is a sign

that they have nothing else under their sleeves.

• Like 2

Great Friday number for DM2. Should finish with 140-145 for the 5 day, incredible. 400 is nearly locked with that number. DM2's success also officially makes Illumination the new animation king of the domestic box office over Pixar. Compare their last 3 releases from lowest grossing to highest:Cars 2/The Lorax: 191m/214mBrave/Despicable Me: 237m/251mMonsters U/Despicable Me 2: 300m/400m+

DM2 is no where near locked for $400m dom and illumination is no where near the box office animation king winner over Pixar.
  • Like 1

Turbo trailer bored me so much. Is Dreamworks believing in that one?

Smurf2: indeed. Then i won't talk about Planes! ^_^

Is there a chance that Planes makes more money than Turbo?

They only have one concept with Gru/Minions. Let's see if they can prove themselves beyond the title of "another one hit wonder."LORAX is based on a previously published work, a popular one. Pixar is all original stuff, folks. They have been an inspiration to many animation houses in Hollywood. And they have been making animations for almost 20 years. Consistency, something that Illumination needs to show.

Yup there are many one-hit wonder Studios that end up bankrupt.Illumination has a long way to go before they're used in the same sentence as Pixar.
  • Like 2

Ok I can get you not liking Pixar but you can't objectively say they make horrible films. Audiences and critics appreciate them.

That doesnt mean i have to agree with most people. Pixar films are crap imo. They just bother me.
  • Like 1

DM2 is no where near locked for $400m dom and illumination is no where near the box office animation king winner over Pixar.

They are this year. :)
  • Like 1

Pixar is horrible. They have fooled all of u into thinking they make good films.

Yet you think Despicable Me and all of Illumination's film are quote on quote... good?

I'd say half of Pixar's films are better than Jaws - yeah I went there :P

You think the last 20 minutes of TS3, the first 15 minutes of Up, the first 30-40 minutes of WALL-E, and Jessie's sad story in TS2 are horrible? You think the end of Monsters Inc is bad? How about the climax of The Incredibles (really the entire movie), or the humor in Nemo? A Bug's Life and Cars are both fun kids movies while Ratatouille is a cleverly hidden allegory for Disney and Pixar's merger/relationship - Anton Ego's review is also the highlight of the film.

Only Cars 2 and Brave are what I'd call mediocre/bad films (and Cars 2 is entertaining for it is)

Illumination has 1 original movie so far, Pixar had 7 straight original movies between TS2 and TS3

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 3

You admittedly state that animation isn't your thing and you don't get it and you don't connect with animated movies, etc, etc...so then why continue to try and stir the pot and shit all over Pixar all the time? It's like a vegetarian only shitting on steak...you don't like and eat chicken, duck, fish, etc, etc, but I'll just bad mouth steak to cause the most uproar. You don't like Pixar and animation, but it's loved by millions so it's not horrible and crap at all.
  • Like 2