Biggestgeekever

Wkend #s: 82.5 DM2, 29.4 TFR, 25 Heat, 19.6 MU

It's looking like a 12.9m weekend:

3.9m Friday

4.8m Saturday

4.2m Sunday

Based on how films performed the last time the 4th fell on a Thursday, I'd the more likely numbers for Supes 6 are as follows...

$3.9M

$4.2M

$3.2M

$11.3M

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2002&wknd=27&p=.htm

A few of the other films did increase around 10% but then all managed to drop 25%+ the following day. So anywhere between $11M and $12M seems likely.

I'm going bullish on GU2, perhaps unwisely, but the marketplace is full of comedies right now. I just see less people caring this time than last: DM2: 46m (-45%) PR: 38m GU2: 35m

PR: 44 mGU2: 39 mbut GU2 will have better legs.

• Founder / Operator

I'm going bullish on GU2, perhaps unwisely, but the marketplace is full of comedies right now. I just see less people caring this time than last: 

DM2: 46m (-45%) 

PR: 38m 

GU2: 35m 

Wouldn't that be bearish? ;)

That said, you could be right. I've only recently come around to thinking GU2 will open around $50+ million. For a long time, I barely had it cracking $35-40m/100-110m domestic.

Edited by ShawnMR

I'm going bullish on GU2, perhaps unwisely, but the marketplace is full of comedies right now. I just see less people caring this time than last: 

DM2: 46m (-45%) 

PR: 38m 

GU2: 35m 

Difference is there haven't been that many comedies that have done well. The Heat is the only legitimate hit but that's also a quasi-actioner. Grown-Ups 2 is a straight-up comedy pure and simple.

• Like 1

Wouldn't that be bearish? ;)

That said, you could be right. I've only recently come around to thinking GU2 will open around $50+ million. For a long time, I barely had it cracking $35-40m/100-110m domestic.

I noticed that too. I was thinking "shit, I've been using bullish and bearish wrong for months now."  :lol: But anyway, I've always been on the GU2 bandwagon- the trailers always get great reactions, the first one was very well liked and did great on HV, and it's by far the most family oriented of any comedy this summer. It's PR that I'm starting to come around on. 

• Like 1

Difference is there haven't been that many comedies that have done well. The Heat is the only legitimate hit but that's also a quasi-actioner. Grown-Ups 2 is a straight-up comedy pure and simple.

Isn't Grown Ups 1 a break out hit?Sequels to break outs usually open big.
  • Like 1

The Heat is a pure and simple comedy (there's barely a story in the movie, it's almost entirely jokes and setpieces), and I think Melissa McCarthy appeals to the same masses as Sandler does.

I think Grown Ups 2 does well, but I don't think it's a movie the market is demanding right now. I don't think it needs to do better than the first one. 

SATURDAY 8 AM, 11TH UPDATE As predicted there were fireworks at the Fourth Of July weekend box office. More bad news for Disney’s #2 too-expensive The Lone Ranger (3,904 theaters) which opened disastrously Wednesday, remained weak on Thursday, and did only $10.6M Friday. It will be a very disappointing 5-day holiday with only $47M max. The Johnny Depp-Armie Hammer starring Western’s domestic cume is way below Disney’s initial lowball projection of $65M. Twentieth Century Fox’s #3 female buddy comedy The Heat could even outgross it for the 3-day weekend. Far different result for the #1 movie, Illumination Entertainment’s and Universal’s Despicable Me 2 (3,957 theaters) which had yet another huge day for $30.2M which should bring its 5-day holiday to near $140M. (“We stood here watching Rentrak and wondering, ‘Could it be?’ It’s not leveling off right now. It’s really great!’” a Uni exec tells me.) Overseas, the 3D toon has grossed $94.4M through Friday in 45 international territories. The film opened #1 in 35 of the 38 new markets where it was released. The new worldwide cumulative through Friday is $184.2M worldwide and will easily pass $200M today on its way to a projected $300M through Sunday. Kevin Hart’s concert pic Let Me Explain (876 theaters) from Lionsgate’s Summit Entertainment made $3.7M Friday and a projected $16.5M for the 5-day holiday.

Here are Friday estimates with percentage changes from Thursday:

1. Despicable Me 2 (Universal) NEW [Runs 3,957]

Wednesday $35.0M, Thursday $24.5M, Friday $30.5M (+24%)

2. The Lone Ranger (Disney) NEW [Runs 3,904]

Wednesday $9.6M, Thursday $9.8M, Friday $10.6M (+7%)

3. The Heat (Fox) Week 1 [Runs 3,181]

Wednesday $5.2M, Thursday $6.3M, Friday $8.6M (+36%)

4. Monsters University (Pixar/Disney) Week 2 [Runs 4,004]

Wednesday $5.4M, Thursday $5.2M, Friday $7.1M (+37%)

5. World War Z (Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 3,607]

Wednesday $3.9M, Thursday $4.3M, Friday $6.3M (+47%)

6. White House Down (Columbia/Sony) Week 1 [Runs 3,222)

Wednesday $2.6M, Thursday $3.5M, Friday $4.5M (+30%)

7. Man Of Steel (Legendary/Warner Bros) Week [Runs 2,965]

Wednesday $2.3M, Thursday $3.0M, Friday $3.9M (+29%)

8. Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain (Summit/Lionsgate) NEW [Runs 876]

Wednesday $4.7M, Thursday $2.5M, Friday $3.7M (+45%)

This Is The End, The Hangover Part III and The Heat are the only comedies we've had this summer. 3.

Don't we usually get more?

Edit: I know most wouldn't class The Hangover Part III as a comedy, because it had no laughs. (ouch).

Edited by Krissykins

Every comedy this summer sans the Internship (which barely counts) has been an R rated raunch comedy. I think a breezy, PG-13 family comedy about summer can certainly find a place in this summer.

That increase for LR really stinks. Its opening 5-day will probably be less than 50m. I'm guessing it ends up around 100-110m total.. I feel pretty good about our bet, Cmasterclay. :)