Pacific Rim (2013)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

seems to punching and such leads to longer fight, damaged robot and more damage though... 

It may cause more damage to the robot, but the robot can be fixed relatively easily. The environment polluted by toxic Kaiju blood can't. 

It may take longer and have more risk, but it's much more useful in the long term.

Last nitpick 

If the monsters all came from the same breach, why didn't they just build around and bomb the crap out of anything that appeared 

Because the breach is very difficult to reach because it's so deep underwater and, considering the frequency of kaiju appearances, a new one would've appeared and destroyed everything before we had time to finish constructing any effective defences.

Last nitpick 

If the monsters all came from the same breach, why didn't they just build around and bomb the crap out of anything that appeared 

Build around the breach? How? It's thousands of meters underwater. Even with technology that allows for building giant robots, seems like a stretch.

Bombing presumably either wasn't effective on the bigger kaiju, or would cause too much civilian damage. (A air-to-surface missile like a Hellfire wouldn't hurt a kaiju at all; at that scale, I'm not even sure an ICBM would do enough damage.)

• Like 1

No if they appear from one spot and this had been going on for years they simply would just started spawn killing.

Have the robots nearby on pacafic islands and most likely develop rail guns nearby.

Just saying its like Starship Troopers..

It makes no sense at all from a realistic point of view but lots of fun.

No if they appear from one spot and this had been going on for years they simply would just started spawn killing.

Have the robots nearby on pacafic islands and most likely develop rail guns nearby.

Yeah, that's basically the entire genre concept. You have to accept that conventional weaponry is useless. Just make up your own reason why.

• Like 1

They appear from one spot which is incredibly difficult to reach, has a variety of different directions the Kaiju can head and even more difficult to build weaponry that can not only hit them from down there, but that the Kaiju also can't dodge in the time it takes for the weapon to hit them and that is also powerful enough to certainly kill the Kaiju but also do so without polluting the Pacific Ocean with their corpses. 

HELICOPTERS COULDN"T CARRY A ROBOT THAT HEAVY THIS FILM FAILS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though some of you need to get a grip ... Independence Day anyone ? Hell I don't even love it as much as most people do and I get what its supposed to be about 

My impressions 

- fights = awesome 

-needed a full on daytime fight scene though not just a tidbit here and there

- acting - for the most part b-level awareness awesome ( my man Elba stood out ) 

- question though and I'm being totally serious here ... did Hunnam and americans playing australians act horrible on purpose or they went for the same type of b-movie full on cheese and failed ? I mean ok the american australians I get they are supporting but either Hunnam is really terrible at acting ( which according to many isn't the case ... I'm not familiar with his other work ) or he ain't good enough to realize the fine line you have to walk in a movie like this 

- excellent A class world building ( hugely important in a movie like this ) 

- what's up with the rushed prologue ... surely Del Toro could realize that he needed at least another 5 minutes of it 

- so much anime influence ( that's a plus ) 

- Film kinda dragged a bit story-wise in the first hour ... it was a bit of a heavy watch regarding plot checkpoints they had to go through ... they should have inserted a full on daytime battle here ... with those stereotypical chinese and russian pilots and their jaegers ... would've made the Hong Kong fight even more better 

- which brings me to a feeling that the movie peaked there and not during the final boss fight ... I wasn't very fond of Avengers-type of ending but yeah I saw it coming totally 

- even though in order to go full on stereotypical and cheesy you need to do it how it used to be done its still a little annoying how the japanese girl was in love with Hunnam's character and yet he didn't see her like that at all 

- not having a love arc is totally refreshing though so I'll let it slide 

- Ron Perlman and his kaiju-dealing operation from 'Bone Slums' = 80's perfection ... like Total Recall-kind of perfection 

Overall I loved it even though it seems I have a lot of issues with it it certainly is the most fun I've had this summer 

So in that regard its a little above STID and FF6 and therefore I'm giving it an 

8/10 

best summer blockbuster 

• Like 1

not as good as I remember, why every big blockbuster nowadays must be so over the top? excessive neon, too much special effects, noisy and overlong. I still liked the movie though B (70)

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Saw this back in August and yet forgot to review it but hot damn was it fun. First hour is a bit slow but it picks up big time when the monsters attack Hong Kong. It needs to be seen either in a really big screen or with the best home theater system you can find.

And what point is there debating realism when the movie doesn't give a fuck about that?

Edited by C00k13 Monster

not as good as I remember, why every big blockbuster nowadays must be so over the top? excessive neon, too much special effects, noisy and overlong. I still liked the movie though B (70)

I don't understand how you make this movie without going over the top.

Also, in what grading scale does 70 = B?

• Like 1

I don't understand how you make this movie without going over the top.

first: you make the movie 30 minutes shorter or you hire better actors. Second: you make the action more unique by having less action. Third: less neon. Done, you have a better movie."Also, in what grading scale does 70 = B?"A (10-9)B (8-7)C (6-5-4)D (3-2)F (1-0);) Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2