Pacific Rim (2013)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The scene with Mako's younger self shits on Bay's entire filmography. He'd have an aneurysm if he tried writing something like that. He has no concept of it.

Also, It's my opinion. Don't like it? Tough shit. I'm not here for your attitude.

I was honestly blown away by that scene.  Most little kids that age can't act for shit and its usually hard to watch, but she genuinely looked/sounded terrified.

Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 5

The scene with Mako's younger self shits on Bay's entire filmography. He'd have an aneurysm if he tried writing something like that. He has no concept of it.Also, It's my opinion. Don't like it? Tough shit. I'm not here for your attitude.

Please, kudos to the little girls for being one of the best actors in the film, but it was another example of using sad background music to convey emotions. Saying it shits on Bay's entire filmography is just a laughable statement and shows how little you know. If you're going to make a cheesy action movie with a bad plot, you need good characters to relate to, Pacific Rim doesn't have this, most Bay movies do which is why films like Armageddon and Pearl Harbour packed a bigger emotional punch than PR could have dreamed off despite being bad movies. It's also why they were huge successes an PR won't be. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 4

Yes, he probably would get an aneurysm if he tried to write something like that because he's not a writer. He's never even received a writing credit. So it might be your opinion but it's irrelevant.

He might not have received a writing credit, but he's written plenty over the years. It's very common practice for directors to rewrite scripts as they see fit.

Pacific Rim is everything I wanted and more. Even with the sorta predictable first hour or so, I was having so much fun with the movie even before all the major fight scenes that I was easily able to look past it. Now I usually don't do this but I gotta say whoever worked on the sound and editing for this movie, please pat yourself on the back. The fight scenes are done so well and at the same time able to keep me on the edge of my seat. Del Toro was also able to get good and very fun performances out of all the actors specially Charlie Day and Ron Perlman. I don't expect everyone to love this movie as much as I did but I at least expect you to come out really liking the movie. I can't wait to go see this movie again. 

Grade: A

• Like 8

Pacific Rim is one of the funnest movie going experiences I've had in quite some time. It's possibly the most fun I've had at a Summer movie since last year's The Avengers. Avatar a side, I can't think of a movie which had better visuals than this one. That's because you have a confident director behind the camera who knows how to frame action making possible for the viewer to know what is going on. It's not like Transformers or Man Of Steel where the action is all in your face and you don't know what the hell is going on. Pacific Rim's action shits all over Transformers and Man Of Steel. Pacific Rim doesn't insult the viewers senses, by forcing a bunch of action down your throat. I really liked Man of Steel, but a big problem with the movie was the action. There was WAY too much action, and not enough character development. Don't get me started on the characterizations of Transformers... That's why Pacific Rim is my favorite movie of the year thus far. There is a lot of time in the movie given to developing characters. Not just the main character(Charlie Hunnam), but side characters like Mako, Stacker, and Chuck. I actually found Idris Elba's character to be the most interesting. He continues to impress me every movie he's in. He's just a good actor.

The Action and visuals in this movie were off-the-charts. You as a viewer can really feel the giant scope of this movie, that's because the scale of the monsters and robots were humongous. They felt humongous. Watching it in Imax, I actually thought I was watching giant robots fight giant monsters. That's a credit to Guillermo Del Toro and his crew. They did great prop work, make-up, and special effects on this movie. The only problem I had with this movie is not getting to see the other mechs do more fighting. They got destroyed way to quickly. This movie is flat-out awesome. It reminded me so much of Independence Day, one of my favorite movies growing up. Can't wait to see it again.

A+

• Like 6

Yes. He cuts his way out and yells where's his goddamn shoe.

LOL.  Well, that makes one other thing in the film's favor.  Honestly, when

that baby monster sprang to life and ate Perlman's character, I gave up on the movie totally. It was a stupid, especially considering that the monster immediately went back to being dead.  And I kept saying "you ate the wrong character!! Wake up and eat the researcher!"

OY!

• Like 2

Don't Be Fooled By all the positive reviews there's good things and bad things about this film but go in expecting to see Robots Fight Against Monsters and You'll be satisfied, I'm actually gonna see it again tomorrow, well there are still things I wish they could have done and didn't do I still enjoy it for what it is, A Summer Blockbuster with cheesy lines, a few interesting characters and Butt-loads of Robots fighting Monsters. If that's you're thing support it because I want a Sequel just as bad as the rest of you that have seen it.

Comedy falls really flat.Characters were really dry and flat and completely uninteresting.Script is a mess. It talks to us like we know all about this techno babble.Much of the robot monster fights were hard to see and i couldnt tell who was who.The good is the human fightingThe opening 10 minutesThe dont get cocky line (homage to SW and Han Solo)Some of thr fights were cool6.5/10

Pretty much my opinion of the film as well.

The first 10 minutes were good. The rest of the movie I just found dull and not that interesting. Some of the fights were fun, but that's about it.

Ron Perlman's character wasn't as cool as I expected him to be. Both scientist characters I found to be VERY annoying and not funny at all. Very unlike Del Toro, and far different than the hilarious comedy in the Hellboy films.

The rest of the cast was mostly forgettable.

Yes I know it was a monster film, so even if I forget the plot and characters and only focus on the action, I was still disappointed.

Many on this forum said the action was awesome. From the trailers the visual effects looked disappointing to me, and watching the film my opinion didn't change. Some scenes looked really good, while others looked really bad. The visual effects for me were very inconsistent, and that really took me out of the film. It wasn't that much fun because there was very little believability in the action. 1998 Godzilla for me had a lot more believability in the action scenes.

My main complaint with the visuals was the lighting; I felt it was too cartoonish and too much like a video game, with all the bright, oversaturated colors at night.

The robot designs themselves were very cool, so good job to Del Toro for that. The monster designs however were to me uninspiring, and I expected a lot more in that department.

As a big Del Toro fan, I really wanted to like this, but ultimately there wasn't a whole lot in the film for me to like.

Overall I rate this a 6.5/10, a decent, but ultimately forgettable film in my eyes. As a letter grade I give this a C+.

Edited by ACCA
  • Like 2