Pacific Rim (2013)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I watched the movie again on Blu-ray, still really enjoyed it. Love the world building and the rich details in back story and Jaeger's designs. Really dig the main theme, just as good as I remembered it to be.

The weak points for me are still some characters' developments and actings. Idris Elba still kicks all kinds of ass though  :wub:

• Like 1

You and I appear to have very different definitions of the word 'better'.

You're still upset about my opinions of the government aren't you? Every post I make you manage to sniff out and quote lol, nerd rage.Anyways yeah I guess we do. Both films were pretty bad but at least Transformers offered more than one decent action scene and had humour. Also Hunman was such an unlikable character, we were supposed to be rooting for this guy yet he starred down every person he layed his eyes on. He was like a chav we see in the streets looking for a fight. Shia's character was much more fun to watch and a much more relatable.Story wise they were both pretty bad. Pacific Rim basically copied Independence Day After a certain point which was a shame because it started off so well then just went lazy. I can barely remember the story in Transformers but at least the actors could actually act and overall I just found it to be much more entertaining, just like most people.So yeah I guess we do have a different definitions of the word better, mine being the favoured one.

You're still upset about my opinions of the government aren't you? Every post I make you manage to sniff out and quote lol, nerd rage.

I can tell you still use the same lack of logic here that you do in the Politics thread. Aside from that, it's my policy to keep stuff that happens in the politics thread in the politics thread. I don't care about your political affiliations when discussing movies. If I keep sniffing out and quoting your posts it's because you keep saying stuff I want to reply to.

Anyways yeah I guess we do. Both films were pretty bad but at least Transformers offered more than one decent action scene and had humour. 

Pacific Rim had the opening fight, the battle of Hong Kong and the final undersea battle. That's more than one.

Also, you and I must also have different definition of 'humour' as well because, last I checked, 'humour' doesn't make you want to rip your ears off and shove them in Shia LeBeouf's stupid face. Like Transformers.

Also Hunman was such an unlikable character, we were supposed to be rooting for this guy yet he starred down every person he layed his eyes on. He was like a chav we see in the streets looking for a fight. Shia's character was much more fun to watch and a much more relatable.

Hunnam was a dislikable character..... because he stared at people? I'd like to see the logic behind that one. 

Also, I'd have more fun watching paint dry than Shia's character. At least paint isn't ungodly annoying.

Story wise they were both pretty bad. Pacific Rim basically copied Independence Day After a certain point which was a shame because it started off so well then just went lazy. I can barely remember the story in Transformers but at least the actors could actually act and overall I just found it to be much more entertaining, just like most people.

Ah yes, because Independence Day is just the very picture of originality, isn't it? *hides copy of War of the Worlds*

Also, I failed to see the giant mecha/kaiju fights in Independence Day. Oh the whole rift thing. Or.... most of Pacific Rim.

Also, considering Pacific Rim is much better received by critics and general audiences, I don't think 'most people' found Transformers more entertaining.

I can tell you still use the same lack of logic here that you do in the Politics thread. Aside from that, it's my policy to keep stuff that happens in the politics thread in the politics thread. I don't care about your political affiliations when discussing movies. If I keep sniffing out and quoting your posts it's because you keep saying stuff I want to reply to.

Yeah sure, that explains why you are able to reply to every post I make within 20 mins lol. Seems a bit stalkerish don't you think??

Pacific Rim had the opening fight, the battle of Hong Kong and the final undersea battle. That's more than one.

I said 'decent' action scene. That final fight was very underwhelming after that Hong Kong fight and don't make out i'm alone on this as i'm clearly not.

Also, you and I must also have different definition of 'humour' as well because, last I checked, 'humour' doesn't make you want to rip your ears off and shove them in Shia LeBeouf's stupid face. Like Transformers.

For the record, most viewers seem to enjoy the humour, too bad you didn't, but for it to make you that angry just tells me you have serious issues my friend.

Hunnam was a dislikable character..... because he stared at people? I'd like to see the logic behind that one.

You don't see how someone starring aggressively at everyone who walks past him can come across as a bit of a ----?? I'm assuming you don't have many friends lol.

Also, I'd have more fun watching paint dry than Shia's character. At least paint isn't ungodly annoying.

Good for you

Ah yes, because Independence Day is just the very picture of originality, isn't it? *hides copy of War of the Worlds*Also, I failed to see the giant mecha/kaiju fights in Independence Day. Oh the whole rift thing. Or.... most of Pacific Rim.

The end speech followed by a nuke taken to the heart of the aliens lair by a team of 2 who manage to escape in the nik of time before being obliterated. does that not sound familiar to you??

Also, considering Pacific Rim is much better received by critics and general audiences, I don't think 'most people' found Transformers more entertaining.

Yeah that's why one movie ended up being the surprise box office of the year whilst the other went by unnoticed and didn't have great legs?? Also they are 15% apart on RT, hardly a difference.Oh and just out of curiosity, what did you think of Transformers 2&3? Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

Pacific Rim had very good 3d, ill give it that. I'm sick of all these 3d movies which are praised for the format but end up being underwhelming. Life if pi comes to mind, very good movie but I found myself taking my glasses of several times throughout and barely seeing a difference.

Edited by Jessie

Yeah sure, that explains why you are able to reply to every post I make within 20 mins lol. Seems a bit stalkerish don't you think??

Considering, looking at all of your recent posts displayed on your profile, I've only replied to one of those posts (not including this post here), I think you may be somewhat delusional. And, btw, that one post was the post you just made on this thread and, if you'll take a look at the last few pages, you'll see that I replied to quite a few posts on here that I disagreed with.

I said 'decent' action scene. That final fight was very underwhelming after that Hong Kong fight and don't make out i'm alone on this as i'm clearly not.

Just because it's not as good as Hong Kong doesn't mean it's a bad fight scene. And, honestly, I really haven't seen many people complaining about that fight scene (and those that do usually complain about it being 'too dark') so yeah, you're kinda in the minority there. 

For the record, most viewers seem to enjoy the humour, too bad you didn't, but for it to make you that angry just tells me you have serious issues my friend.

Ah yes, everyone loves the humour. And it's not at all like the Transformers films, Shia LeBeouf, Sam's Parents, Skidz and Mudflap or any of the comic reliefs have sizable hatedoms on the internet. Oh wait.

You don't see how someone starring aggressively at everyone who walks past him can come across as a bit of a ----?? I'm assuming you don't have many friends lol.

You must be really paranoid if you think Hunnam was 'staring aggressively at everyone', since I've never heard a single person, fan or hater, claim that. Then again, you seem to believe that I'm stalking you, so that's not much of a surprise.

The end speech followed by a nuke taken to the heart of the aliens lair by a team of 2 who manage to escape in the nik of time before being obliterated. does that not sound familiar to you??

Well, it does if you ridiculously over-simplify it that much. By the same logic, you might as well say Transformers ripped of Dracula because the heroes are attacked by something non-human, must seek help from someone/something better equipped to deal with them, must beat the enemies subordinates and the main villain is killed by being stabbed in the chest by something.

Yeah that's why one movie ended up being the surprise box office of the year whilst the other went by unnoticed and didn't have great legs?? Also they are 15% apart on RT, hardly a difference.

Ah yes, because as we all know, box office = quality.

Also, 15% really isn't 'hardly a difference' no matter how you try to look at it.

Oh and just out of curiosity, what did you think of Transformers 2&3?

Thought they were both awful. Oddly enough, Transformers 3 annoyed me more than 2. Maybe it's because I'd heard how bad 2 was going into it, maybe it's because I actually had some hopes for 3 since I loved the trailer, maybe it's because I was just so fed up that after 2 bloody movies Bay still hadn't learnt his lesson about the godawful comedy, anything really.

Pacific Rim was not that well received among audiences. You have to be a real fanboy to think so

Ah yes, only a fanboy could interpret 80% audience approval ratings of RT and a 7.2 IMDB score as being 'well recieved among audiences. Obviously.

• Like 1

Pacific Rim better received than Transformers by the general audiences? LOL LOL LOL. Fanboyism at its finest. Pacific Rim came and went. It had poor legs for a movie not based on a preexisting property. It also had a great release date so there was no excuse

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

Pacific Rim better received than Transformers by the general audiences? LOL LOL LOL. Fanboyism at its finest. Pacific Rim came and went. It had poor legs for a movie not based on a preexisting property. It also had a great release date so there was no excuse

Generally, when people talk about something being 'well received', they're talking about the general audience's critical reactions. If you're merely talking about box office, then I'll agree that Transformers was better received. But, as I mentioned, higher box office doesn't mean higher quality and Pacific Rim suffered from very poor marketing which cut into its profits.

Pacific Rim better received than Transformers by the general audiences? LOL LOL LOL. Fanboyism at its finest

I assume you're talking about money since its only thing the Transformers movies have over Pacific Rim.  Money doesn't equal quality, this argument is such a fallacy.  Crappy movies make bank all the time.

• Like 1

I assume you're talking about money since its only thing the Transformers movies have over Pacific Rim.  Money doesn't equal quality, this argument is such a fallacy.  Crappy movies make bank all the time.

not just money, it is clear that audiences embraced Transformers as in liked it, due to the good legs it had and the strong DVD sales it had. PR was clearly rejected by audiences. It had a medicore opening and poor legs (despite not being based on preexisting material). It doesn't matter which movie you like better, these are the facts

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

not just money, it is clear that audiences embraced Transformers as in liked it, due to the good legs it had and the strong DVD sales it had. PR was clearly rejected by audiences. It had a medicore opening and poor legs (despite not being based on preexisting material). It doesn't matter which movie you like better, these are the facts

Pacific Rim's problem was less 'not being embraced by audiences' and more 'not being seen by audiences'. Marketing for general audiences was very poor and the fact that it was an original property (unlike Transformers which was based on an already huge, very well-known franchise that most of its demographic probably grew up with) didn't work in its favour.

And, as we've mentioned over and over, Money doesn't equal quality or audience appreciation. Unless you're seriously trying to argue that Avatar is the best and most well-loved movie of all time.

Pacific Rim's problem was less 'not being embraced by audiences' and more 'not being seen by audiences'. Marketing for general audiences was very poor and the fact that it was an original property (unlike Transformers which was based on an already huge, very well-known franchise that most of its demographic probably grew up with) didn't work in its favour.

And, as we've mentioned over and over, Money doesn't equal quality or audience appreciation. Unless you're seriously trying to argue that Avatar is the best and most well-loved movie of all time.

again, it is not just money, it is fact that audience appreciate for Transformers is clearly better. Even if marketing was poor, the film should have gotten good legs in its second weekend (it had the prime July release date that movies like Inception and The Dark Knight had so there is no excuse here).  PR fanboys are trying to desperately make it look like audiences loved the movie and found  it superior over Michael Bay's movies, but that is clearly not the case here. Same arguments were used for other flop movies like John Carter or Dredd.  And Transformers was not guaranteed to be successful, Many were saying it would flop before it came out

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

again, it is not just money, it is fact that audience appreciate for Transformers is clearly better. Even if marketing was poor, the film should have gotten good legs in its second weekend (it had the prime July release date that movies like Inception and The Dark Knight had so there is no excuse here).  PR fanboys are trying to desperately make it look like audiences loved the movie and found  it superior over Michael Bay's movies, but that is clearly not the case here. Same arguments were used for other flop movies like John Carter or Dredd. 

Your argument is pretty much entirely 'Transformers made more money therefore audiences must've liked it better' which wrong on so many levels. Avatar is not the most widely loved film in the world by audiences by any means. Going to watch a film in the cinema doesn't necessarily mean you must love it. I've seen plenty of films in the cinema I've hated. I've gone back to rewatch films I liked but also not rewatched films I liked even more due to a lack of money at the time.

Also, I don't know if you've noticed, but, while July may have been a success in previous years, it really hasn't been this year. There wasn't a single major box office smash in July and pretty big number of underperformers. Most of the well-performing blockbusters for this year were in April/May/June.

• Like 2

again, it is not just money, it is fact that audience appreciate for Transformers is clearly better. Even if marketing was poor, the film should have gotten good legs in its second weekend (it had the prime July release date that movies like Inception and The Dark Knight had so there is no excuse here).  PR fanboys are trying to desperately make it look like audiences loved the movie and found  it superior over Michael Bay's movies, but that is clearly not the case here. Same arguments were used for other flop movies like John Carter or Dredd.  And Transformers was not guaranteed to be successful, Many were saying it would flop before it came out

John Carter never looked any good from the trailers, and it wasn't.  And Dredd, is just a bad example for this.  While its very well made movie(way better than Pacific Rim IMO), it was coming off of its predecessor which is widely seen as one of the worst movies of the 90s.  I bet if the Stallone version never happened the remake would've done better, even if out of curiosity alone.

• Like 1

Avatar is not the most widely loved film in the world by audiences by any means.

Which one is? How do you make a poll?

You're mixing BO/quality/popularity/audience reception.

Is Avatar the best movie ever? No. No one has ever said so.

Was Avatar popular? To make those BO numbers, it gotta be at some point so we can say that it had a wide positive reception among general audience WW that elicited multiple viewings due to WOM only weeks after weeks.

That's the same with Transformers regardless of what you and I think of the quality of those movies.

So why did PR's so called good WOM and good reception fail to drain general audience the second week and so on unlike those two peers?

That either means PR had shitty WOM that made it crumble from a meh opening or it didn't interest people at all past the core audience since day 1. If it was well received widely speaking, the word would have sprayed out at some point. For some obscure reason, PR was well received by audience like Transformers but the word was not sprayed out to general audience unlike Transformers... :unsure:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Considering, looking at all of your recent posts displayed on your profile, I've only replied to one of those posts (not including this post here), I think you may be somewhat delusional. And, btw, that one post was the post you just made on this thread and, if you'll take a look at the last few pages, you'll see that I replied to quite a few posts on here that I disagreed with.

You happen to be the only person replying to my posts... Coincidence 

Just because it's not as good as Hong Kong doesn't mean it's a bad fight scene. And, honestly, I really haven't seen many people complaining about that fight scene (and those that do usually complain about it being 'too dark') so yeah, you're kinda in the minority there.

Ive heard plenty of people claim the first fight looked cheap and the last was underwhelming, ive even heard it on this site. 

Ah yes, everyone loves the humour. And it's not at all like the Transformers films, Shia LeBeouf, Sam's Parents, Skidz and Mudflap or any of the comic reliefs have sizable hatedoms on the internet. Oh wait.

Oh so the internet is our basis as to what audiences find funny and don't?? okay then.

You must be really paranoid if you think Hunnam was 'staring aggressively at everyone', since I've never heard a single person, fan or hater, claim that. Then again, you seem to believe that I'm stalking you, so that's not much of a surprise.

Not at all, I watched it with a group of friends, we all noticed it so I guess we are all paranoid lol. 

Ah yes, because as we all know, box office = quality.Also, 15% really isn't 'hardly a difference' no matter how you try to look at it.

You are right, it doesn't. Box office shows popularity and Transformers was far more popular than Pacific Rim if we go by those performance. Denying this just shows how desperate you are.

Thought they were both awful. Oddly enough, Transformers 3 annoyed me more than 2. Maybe it's because I'd heard how bad 2 was going into it, maybe it's because I actually had some hopes for 3 since I loved the trailer, maybe it's because I was just so fed up that after 2 bloody movies Bay still hadn't learnt his lesson about the godawful comedy, anything really.

Lol so you say and I quote, you'd rather watch paint dry than watch these yet you'll still come back for BOTH sequels?? Yeah it looks like someone is over-exaggerating just how much he hates those movies. If I didn't like a movie that much, I wouldn't watch it's sequels. At the end of the day, both movies are basically style over substance, Bays movie just had better style, and clearly you must think this because if you really hated the story, acting and humour that much, something must have made you keep coming back to these 2 and a half hour bores. Shot yourself in the foot there mate.

Edited by Jessie