luna

Most overrated directors

i'm not a fanatic district 9 lover but come on - that's a plot device that serves a thematic purpose. sci-fi isn't just about how realistic the tech is.

There is nothing funnier than people who try to pick apart stuff like that in science fiction films with pseudo intellectual techno babble.

I have to say Chris Nolan. He's a great director and makes some of my favourite popcorn movies but I've seen so many people call him the best director of all time that I can't not include him here. Maybe he will be one day but at the moment he simply cannot compete with the filmographies of master directors like Hitchcock, Kubrick, Spielberg etc.

Call him your favourite director of all time but best director -nope.

Edited by Cairo
  • Like 1

Edgar Wright shouldn't be on the list. Shaun of the dead and Hot fuzz are comedy masterpieces with The World's End a worthy mention and even though I hated Scott Pilgrim, the director knew exactly what he was doing when he made that film. Edgar has been more consistent with his comedy's than any recent director I can think of in this day an age, if anything he's under-rated.

How about Judd Apatow for overrated directors? After Knocked Up and 40 year old Virgin, none of his movies have been that great.

I have to say Chris Nolan. He's a great director and makes some of my favourite popcorn movies but I've seen so many people call him the best director of all time that I can't not include him here. Maybe he will be one day but at the moment he simply cannot compete with the filmographies of master directors like Hitchcock, Kubrick, Spielberg etc.

Call him your favourite director of all time but best director -nope.

Hardly fair, its sites like this that makes him overrated however if very few spoke about the guy, he's be classed as underrated as hell.

Hardly fair, its sites like this that makes him overrated however if very few spoke about the guy, he's be classed as underrated as hell.

But that's the point of the terms overrated and underrated.. Being overrated or underrated doesn't change how good a director he is but whether people's opinions are in line with reality. 

There are plenty of internet fanboys/Nolanites who have made him into some sort of perfect and infallible being which he is not. Therefore it's obviously easier for him to be overrated than someone without such a large and worshiping fanbase. Nolan does not have a dedicated number of people deriding him due to very few people actually hating his movies, meaning there isn't really a balance in the general worshiping-hating equation.

I was kind of inclined to put Orson Welles on this list, too, but after some consideration decided I could not due to his lasting impact on cinematic history. 

• Like 1

I was kind of inclined to put Orson Welles on this list, too, but after some consideration decided I could not due to his lasting impact on cinematic history. 

Yeah Welles had so much influence, Nolan could never have made Memento if Welles didn't have perfected in Citizen Kane that science of jumping back and forth into timeline thanks to masterful editing.

Here's a list of directors with 2 or more films to their resume who have never made a single film any less quality than "Really Good"

Christopher Nolan

Stanley KubrickHayao MyazakiPaul Thomas AndersonEdgar WrightDuncan JonesBrad BirdJuan Antonio Bayona

Jeff Nichols

That doesn't necessarily make them 'not overrated', but it makes a strong case. 

Edited by Squaremaster316

Here's a list of directors with 2 or more films to their resume who have never made a single film any less quality than "Really Good"

Christopher Nolan

Stanley KubrickHayao MyazakiPaul Thomas AndersonEdgar WrightDuncan JonesBrad BirdJuan Antonio Bayona

Jeff Nichols

I think we have a different way of looking at the definition overrated.

Some of my favourite authors have never wrote a book which was less than very good. Those ones who aren't that popular, I consider underrated. However, if suddenly almost everyone had heard of them, most people had read the books and many would brand the author as the 'best ever', I'd have to star classify them as overrated even if the author didn't become any less good and I still loved  all her/his books. 

If his first two films are any indication, Martin McDonagh.

In Bruges is average. Has a couple good performances and an interesting resolution, but overall it's disjointed, schizophrenic, and a misfire.

Seven Psychopaths is total crap.

Christopher Nolan

Jeff Nichols

You should be able to do that statement with at least 5 or 6 films from a given director.

If not, it bears not much meaning.

Christopher Nolan

Jeff Nichols

Oops, forgot Ben Affleck