#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

I seriously think that GU2 was made with only children in mind- it tried way too hard with the humor, and the only people in my audience who liked it alot were the kids, who ate it up.  I still really enjoyed GU1, but this one kind blew chunks for anyone over 12. 

Quoting my post from last page:

Sandler needs to get his shit together. His comedies were always stupid, but funny. GU, JGWI and Zohan are hilarious. But TMB and J&J are just too stupid, and apparently GU2 doesn't break that. I could see that coming from the trailer. Seriously? A deer pissing in Sandler's face? Who writes this shit? A monkey?

Breaking down the dailies I think DM2 wins the weekend somewhat comfortably. It's not a great hold though, even if GU2 provided competition, and I think 400m is off the table for it (if it ever was on the table). 360-375 seems to be the high end right now.

Breaking down the dailies I think DM2 wins the weekend somewhat comfortably. It's not a great hold though, even if GU2 provided competition, and I think 400m is off the table for it (if it ever was on the table). 360-375 seems to be the high end right now.

360 M is possible?

120M is possible for PR and 400M WW. I think a sequel will be made. And Legendary paid 75% of that 180M budget.

Give it a 4x from this weekend and it hits 360. It's not locked or anything but it's certainly possible. Turbo doesn't seem like it's going to do great business and it's a few weeks away from Smurfs 2.

120M is possible for PR and 400M WW. I think a sequel will be made. And Legendary paid 75% of that 180M budget.

I'm in total 'wait and see' mode on PR. Today's number is really important. I really don't think we're getting a sequel unless OS numbers explode.
  • Like 1

I knew PacifcRim  would be a  Serenity/Snakes on a Plane kind of thing; online frenzy, real world indifference.  The relatively good Cinemscore is fanboyish love. We all know this is the kind of film that will attract rabid genre fans, and they will inflate the CS. I expect a less than 100 million finish domestically. On the other hand, GU2's strong start is not shocking. GU had very good WOM and a surprisingly strong run.

I wouldn't go quite that far. PR will make roughly what those two films made in total in it's opening weekend alone.