Jack Nevada

Why arent there more female directors?

Leni Riefenstahl. Kathryn Bigelow. Jane Campion. Sofia Coppola. Nora Ephron. Barbara Streisand. Julie Delpy. Lena Dunham.There seem to be nearly as many or an equal amount of female singers, artists, authors and photographers. Yet a female working as a filmmaker is still really quite rare compared to those other artistic professions. Why is this? Why arent there more woman directors?

Please be respectful to females.

I am only discussing what was said in the clip...so do you have a problem with the posted clip?

PS. What about Jack's signature, I think that is worse...but you used that term yourself against me ...so I am confused, who you are talking about????

Amy Pascal mentioned in an interviews that she wants more female directors doing big budget films either at Sony and that Kathryn Bigelow turned down Bond and Spider-Man, I think the film industry male oriented anyway, Pascal is the only woman to head a studio and even then she shares that responsibility with Michael Lynton. Sony also has their animation studio headed by a woman as well.

I believe Jennifer Lee will be the first female director of a Disney Animation film. They seem to be making a bit of headway in the animation industry.

At any rate, I think it's an issue deeply ingrained in our culture. Women just don't seem to be as interested in filmmaking as men do. You see it in the demographics of this site, and in the animation class I took at college the makeup was predominantly male.

I believe Jennifer Lee will be the first female director of a Disney Animation film. They seem to be making a bit of headway in the animation industry. At any rate, I think it's an issue deeply ingrained in our culture. Women just don't seem to be as interested in filmmaking as men do. You see it in the demographics of this site, and in the animation class I took at college the makeup was predominantly male.

They've been a few animated films directed by women, The Prince of Egypt was co-directed by Brenda Chapman and KFP2 was directed by Jennifer Yuh Nelson, I agree that there isn't enough female director, it would be great to see Bigelow or Patty Jenkins direct a blockbuster,

The entertainment industry is still male dominated, the majority of studio execs but also the people in charge of making the movies themselves.

The first post mentions that there are tons of female singers, that may be true but a much lower percentage of female recording acts have a hand in writing or producing their material. Again, male dominated. On the official RIAA list of the highest selling artists of all time in the US (albums) a female doesn't show up until Streisand at #11.

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinum.php?content_selector=top-selling-artists

The "girls are verbal, boys are visual" tendencies start early, though obviously you have male writers and women into art, photography, cameras, etc. But I think a "visionary" boy in the past was more likely to play amateur filmmaker with whatever camera technology was available to him at the time, while a visionary girl would create that world on paper and be an aspiring writer instead. I think that gender split might shift somewhat with this next generation of boys and girls who both grew up having flipcams, easy editing capabilities, and Youtube before entering their double digits.

Very time consuming job, hard on relationships especially if kids are desired and many women do want to be mothers (though not all, which is fine!). Drew Barrymore said she wasn't going to direct movies now that she had a kid, because she was not willing to sacrifice the time away from her child that directing would take. Probably several other women interested in directing feel the same way, so they work in TV movies, kid shows, sitcoms, etc. that's a little less time intensive.

Hollywood increasingly focused on making action/franchise tentpoles for "everyone" but typically starring white males and directed by white males, even though non-action movies directed by women (Mamma Mia), movies with more diverse casts (F&F franchise, Slumdog Millionaire) and non-white directors (Life of Pi) can rake in the cash as well. When those happen it feels like it's viewed as sort of a one-off and the status quo continues more or less. Even with the more adult serious dramas, something about fathers and sons or some sort of "male journey of discovery" gets to be awards bait, while the same sort of story about female characters has to work harder IMO not to be dismissed as chick flick material (literature is the same way). Not that women can't direct action/franchise tentpoles, too, but I think a lot of female directors might have talents/interests that lie in genres Hollywood isn't throwing the big money toward right now.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1