baumer

Tues #s RTH

I think if it would have opened closer to WWZ, people would have been happy.  It's the budget, the summer release and the man in teh director's chair that had people thinking it would be huge.

A WWZ opening would have been fantastic. Personally I was thinking 45-50M opening weekend with a finish around 140M-145M. 

Fanboy directors?  

Nolan is mainstream. The GA loves him.

I think it is because Inception and Pacific Rim are both original sci-fi action movies released during the Summer in July by WB.

• Like 1

I think if it would have opened closer to WWZ, people would have been happy.  It's the budget, the summer release and the man in teh director's chair that had people thinking it would be huge.

I don’t think people were expecting it to be a hit because Del Toro was directing it (a critical success yes, but not a box office hit).

Like I said what really doomed Pacific Rim (IMO) was that Warner Brothers wasn’t on very good terms with Legendary Pictures.

Inception dropped 47% on its first Monday. The showdown ended 2 days ago. BOM seriously should just stop it.

Edited by #ED

Hurm. Wake me up if it drops more than 20% tomorrow.

If it drops 20% today with IMAX still doing well, then it is in trouble.

• Like 2

Lone Ranger might still end up above Pacific Rim after all...

Yeah that ain't happening. I will empty my bank account and give it all to Pacific Rim to avoid that from happening. Pacific Rim will definitely make more than 11M on its second weekend. It actually has a shot (slim shot) to make 11M on its third weekend. 

Either way though, Pacific Rim will be more of a success than Lone Ranger. 

Edited by Hiccup
  • Like 1

Yeah that ain't happening. I will empty my bank account and give it all to Pacific Rim to avoid that from happening. Pacific Rim will definitely make more than 11M on its second weekend. It actually has a shot (slim shot) to make 11M on its third weekend. 

Either way though, Pacific Rim will be more of a success than Lone Ranger. 

WW it will most assuredly do more than TLR.

I'm very curious how Jupiter Ascending will perform next July now. Like PR it's a high concept sci-fi fantasy with 'fanboy directors' behind it. Unlike PR the cast has actual stars (Channing Tatum, Mila Kunis) and WB is paying for more than 25% of the budget. The Wachowskis are overdue for a hit but it's opening in a tight spot. Marketing better be pretty fantastic.

So Despicable Me 2 is at 240.9M as of Tuesday. How high this is going? Is 350M out of the question?

I think legs from here out takes it past 350.  375 if it doesn't get hit too hard in the coming weeks.

Yea but 400 WW is going to be way bigger than GU2 WW, and that was the point he was making.   :)

GU2 WW topping PR WW would be hilarious and abominable at the same time.Considering the investments that went into each movie, though, financial and otherwise, it should be little consolation if PR ends up over GU2.. Also, Sandler is not a strong draw OS. Not that modernized creature features are, as turns out.