baumer

Tues #s RTH

come on PR lovers. Stop pretending PR is still in for some big recovery at the box office, that audiences not seeing shows audiences a are "dumb", and that PR will end up some classic beloved by generation after generation

audience not showing up doesn't make them dumb, PR-del toro fanboys thinking that it will be box office hit is. fanboys are just a small fraction of the audience. you can hype it up but don't expect others to do the same.

Dude. The point is, people knew about Transformers. They don't know shit about Kaiju.  You can argue this until the cows come in.

Transformers were already a popular brand. Period. There's no comparison. 

Thanks Captain Obvious. Yeah, Pacific Rim is an original property and Transformers is not, thanks for the memo. But that's not my point.

Edited by dashrendar44

Thanks Captain Obvious. Yeah, Pacific Rim is an original property and Transformers is not, thanks for the memo. But that's not my point.

That was your point. You brought it up. I just responded to it. Don't get mad at me. Go back and check your posts.

Edited by ECSTASY

I can't wait for Elysium, if only to put an end to these repetitive and depressing PR discussions.

But what if Elysium isn't the #1 movie in America? (I really hope not, but it's possible) 

That was your point. You brought it up. I just responded to it. Don't get mad at me. Go back and check your posts.

No, you mistook my point. GA know Transformers are big robots. GA see PR trailers featuring big robots.

What I'm arguing is that GA didn't know who are Autobots, Decepticons and the names of every single robots to go see it just like they don't need to know what a Kaiju is to go see the movie. They just need to know there are big monsters and big robots fighting them, that's all. It's that notion that PR is flopping because GA don't know what a Kaiju means exactly that I find ridiculous and ludicrous. I mean that's the principle and the power of curiosity that you're dismissing. It's like saying "no one knew about what a Na'vi was all about prior to Avatar, why should I go see that movie then" even if the trailers showed you what a Na'vi was. it's exactly the same with PR, the trailers show you what is a Kaiju. Knowing the name or what it means is irrelevant, that's something you can discover in the movie.

Edited by dashrendar44

No, Transformers didn't break out because everybody got Transformers toys during childhood. I'm the living proof. I saw families and grown ups that were already over 20 in the eighties going to see it. Michael Bay made it relevant to a broader audience that's all because that broad audience were not all Transformers fanboys at the core.

Speaking from the point of view of someone who was in India when TF hit and did not grow up on the toys or cartoon show - the reason people in India went to see it (at least within my friends network) was "Hey, giant robots are fighting each other and with impressive visual effects as well". Sometimes that is all it takes.

• Like 1

PR literally had nothing going for it in terms of attracting the GA. The trailers weren't impressive. They showed lumbering giant robots punching big ugly monsters in nighttime scenes. They didnt emphasize the human relationships, emotions or humor to bring in females/family They didnt have a recognizable actor or director with crossover appeal. There were no money shots that would make people go "whoa i need to see that". Robots vs monsters is a very nich concept with a small fanbase, and WB did a terrible job with marketing.

Say what you want about Transformers but those guys did a masterful job advertising those movies. They put the cool cars, the hot girl, the funny lines, the epic scale  and the sam-bumblebee relationship at the forefront. And plus they had a notorious director at the helm. Look at this trailer:its like a 100times more exciting than anything PR put in its trailers yet DOTM is a worse movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHRf01Gjosk

Don't blame the GA for Pac Rim failing. Blame WB for not giving them enough reason to go see it.

• Like 4

No, you mistook my point. GA know Transformers are big robots. GA see PR trailers featuring big robots.

What I'm arguing is that GA didn't know who are Autobots, Decepticons and the names of every single robots to go see it just like they don't need to know what a Kaiju is to go see the movie. They just need to know there are big monsters and big robots fighting them, that's all. It's that notion that PR is flopping because GA don't know what a Kaiju means exactly that I find ridiculous. I mean that's the principle and the power of curiosity that you're dismissing.

I'm not dismissing anything. You seem to dismiss the fact that with all the other movies out people will choose what's familiar and looks appealing. But whatever. I'm done with this argument. 

PR literally had nothing going for it in terms of attracting the GA. The trailers weren't impressive. They showed lumbering giant robots punching big ugly monsters in nighttime scenes. They didnt emphasize the human relationships, emotions or humor to bring in females/family They didnt have a recognizable actor or director with crossover appeal. There were no money shots that would make people go "whoa i need to see that". Robots vs monsters is a very nich concept with a small fanbase, and WB did a terrible job with marketing.

Say what you want about Transformers but those guys did a masterful job advertising those movies. They put the cool cars, the hot girl, the funny lines, the epic scale  and the sam-bumblebee relationship at the forefront. And plus they had a notorious director at the helm. Look at this trailer:its like a 100times more exciting than anything PR put in its trailers yet DOTM is a worse movie.

Don't blame the GA for Pac Rim failing. Blame WB for not giving them enough reason to go see it.

excellent post.  agreed.

Edited by infiniti

Agree.  Thanks for this post.

Speaking from the point of view of someone who was in India when TF hit and did not grow up on the toys or cartoon show - the reason people in India went to see it (at least within my friends network) was "Hey, giant robots are fighting each other and with impressive visual effects as well". Sometimes that is all it takes.

Exactly. I surely did, I went with friends and none of us were Transformers toys/cartoons fans at all. It was just the latest big Bay's summer romp and it happened to feature those Transformers toys IRL. (I remember everyone laughing at the prospect of a TF's adaptation like Hollywood is flushing down the toilet and all. Now people act like Transformers was always promised to be a massive and popular hit from the get go propelled by the brand fanbase even if it could have went like Speed Racer)

By calling GA stupid, doesnot exactly mean GA are stupid, but just a quick way to sum up how disappointing GA are. They sometimes just dont support the right movies ...

People have every right to watch what they want to watch, you can't judge them as people because of it. 

• Like 1

I'm not dismissing anything. You seem to dismiss the fact that with all the other movies out people will choose what's familiar and looks appealing. But whatever. I'm done with this argument. 

And that's another point that I never dismissed nor brought upon. Where did I say that? Nowhere. I'm just responding at your "LOL GA don't even know what a Kaiju is, no wonder it flops" flavoured post. I'm sure GA didn't even know what a Decepticon or Megatron were in 2007. That's my point.

Edited by dashrendar44

And that's another point that I never dismissed nor brought upon. Where did I say that? Nowhere. I'm just responding at your "LOL GA don't even know what a Kaiju is, no wonder it flops" flavoured post. I'm sure GA didn't even know what a Decepticon or Megatron were in 2007. That's my point.

You have a bad habit of twisting posts. Thanks for the misquote.  Whatever, I've moved on.