RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers

All I remember about her was an article I read were she was giving a speech about not having sex to early to high school girls.

yet at the time she was like 19 fucking a 33 year old.... 

I found that distasteful. 

19 isn't too early. She was talking to HIGH SCHOOL girls. 

• Like 2

Well there's this small thing between us, keeping us apart. She has no idea who I am and probably never will. :)

Geez, baumer, if I knew this, I would have told her about you when I met her last year. I would have dropper her your number. ;)

Again, dont theaters have to keep wide releases for atleast 2 weeks? How did RIPD lose 2 theaters?

LOL, kinda true, thing you don't know is  the +/- of theatres on/off , so the net effect of RIPD is -2 but there were over 50 theatres (large majority drive-ins) that only did one week, then theres the ones that opened in week 2 w/c 26-Jul.

There are also a number of theatres mainly single screens some multiplexes that only runs films for a week(maybe up to 3 weeks max) and yes manage to get 1st run  but usually the print so to speak move somewhere else.

The general rule is you have to run film for several weeks(varies each title) but the deal could be that if say after X  weeks  you take less then Y amount  there is the option to take film off and/or reduce sessions.

So lets say deal is minimum run 4 weeks but if after week 1 or 2 you take less than say 5k you have the option to take it off or reduce sessions.

Edited by Rth
  • Like 5

LOL, kinda true, thing you don't know is the +/- of theatres on/off , so the net effect of RIPD is -2 but there were over 50 theatres (large majority drive-ins) that only did one week, then theres the ones that opened in week 2 w/c 26-Jul.There are also a number of theatres mainly single screens some multiplexes that only runs films for a week(maybe up to 3 weeks max) and yes manage to get 1st run but usually the print so to speak move somewhere else.The general rule is you have to run film for several weeks(varies each title) but the deal could be that if say after X weeks you take less then Y amount there is the option to take film off and/or reduce sessions.So lets say deal is minimum run 4 weeks but if after week 1 or 2 you take less than say 5k you have the option to take it off or reduce sessions.

Ah! so on BOM, -10 doesnt necessarily mean a movie lost 10 theaters? Thats just the net? Like it gained 10, but lost lost 20? How come most movies stay flat on week 2 then? The pos and neg just matches? Edited by jandrew

I'm about 15 year years older than Hayden but she is honestly my dream woman.  Besides being ridiculously beautiful she is an animal lover and used her wealth and influence to try to do something good.  She wasn't successful but she put her life on the line to do something.  I love her for that.

Some friends of mine did a documentary that she was in (though it's mainly about a pro surfer), about cetacean awareness and rescue. I did the trailer for it:
  • Like 2

Ah! so on BOM, -10 doesnt necessarily mean a movie lost 10 theaters? Thats just the net? Like it gained 10, but lost lost 20? How come most movies stay flat on week 2 then? The pos and neg just matches?

Yep its always  the net of X theatres off Y theatres on, there are theatres open later dates

for example MOS

week 1/2 theatre count 4207, there was over 20 close/open wk2, net was the same

Week4 net was -1226, in that week there were 70+ openings

This current week more theatres opening (over 30) part of the net  501 (-549 from previous)

Edited by Rth
  • Like 3

Who cares what she does in her personal life?  She was of age.  And besides, who she has sex with is a lot less important than standing up for what you believe in and doing something about it.  That's what makes her an awesome person.

I agree and im all for it, my uncle is a Marine Biologist and I took many Marine Bio classes. I love what she did, hats off to her. 

• Like 2

Hayden Panettiere rocks ... Baumer has good taste ... even if he's 15 years older. :)

Sadly, I see now his avatar is once again Jason ... boo :(

Being a fan of MOS, I have to say, that # really does suck ... despite losing another 500+ theaters ... it's going to be hard pressed to do much over 290 now.

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

Geez, baumer, if I knew this, I would have told her about you when I met her last year. I would have dropper her your number. ;)

Hahaha, do you "know" her?

• Like 1

Some friends of mine did a documentary that she was in (though it's mainly about a pro surfer), about cetacean awareness and rescue. I did the trailer for it:

That's awesome.  So do you have a connection to her?  Can you get in touch with her?  :)

• Like 1

Yes, but calling all art house movies frontloaded is a bit much, don't you think?

Yep

And PTA is brought way down with major releases by a lot of low grossing theatres for eg TW top 1000 theatres PTA Fri/Sat 24k, the next 1000 theatres way way way under that and so on , overall 10k

• Like 2

Yep its always  the net of X theatres off Y theatres on, there are theatres open later dates

for example MOS

week 1/2 theatre count 4207, there was over 20 close/open wk2, net was the same

Week4 net was -1226, in that week there were 70+ openings

This current week more theatres opening (over 30) part of the net  501 (-549 from previous)

i never knew that! it makes more sense now. I would always tell myself "its funny how theres thousands of theaters in NA, but only 5 are getting X movie this week or 8 are losing X movie", but now I see its just net. Thanks for that info.

One more question that I'm sure anyone can answer, how do the theaters actually get the movies? My theater is Amstar, so does Amstar order the movie on phone/online then WB sends them a print? Or does WB contact Amstar? How much does it cost and how do they decide how many to get. Amstar had IM3 on 7 screens, so do they say "Disney, we need 7 prints of IM3 for May 3rd, thanks"? And obviously 3 weeks in it still isnt gonna be on 7 screens, so do they throw those extra 4 prints out or send them back or to another or what? How does that process work? Sorry I know its alot.

Edited by jandrew

i never knew that! it makes more sense now. I would always tell myself "its funny how theres thousands of theaters in NA, but only 5 are getting X movie this week or 8 are losing X movie", but now I see its just net. Thanks for that info.

One more question that I'm sure anyone can answer, how do the theaters actually get the movies? My theater is Amstar, so does Amstar order the movie on phone/online then WB sends them a print? Or does WB contact Amstar? How much does it cost and how do they decide how many to get. Amstar had IM3 on 7 screens, so do they say "Disney, we need 7 prints of IM3 for May 3rd, thanks"? And obviously 3 weeks in it still isnt gonna be on 7 screens, so do they throw those extra 4 prints out or send them back or to another or what? How does that process work? Sorry I know its alot.

In brief distributors offer films to circuits/ theatres, they decide how wide they won't to go, do pre release chart of likely locations.

then offer film see who want to play and where and they negotiate, theatre owners might want to play film first run in a location/theatre  that the distributor doesn't and then there might have to be negotiating back and forth as to if the  particular theatre gets film or not. In competitive markets there can be bidding (not that common these days) where a group of theatres near one an other that wouldn't normally all be allowed to play film X will basically put in a bid for film (I'll play for X weeks give you5 screens, pay an advance etc and the best wins ). could be sharing deal Theatre A gets X films a year from  and theatre B gets Y films a year.

Basically theres a whole lot of different deals, release pattens, theatres that will always be offered  everything(and play most of then) etc. Its quite common  these days to just try and put films into everywhere you can , but once again it all varies and you might get someone like AMC say yes we would like to play X film in 1000 theatres but we only willing to play something else in 500 theatres.

Distibutor may also state that they want to open on X screens so if say they offer Y film to Amstar they may say we want it to open on at least 3 screens Amstar might agree to do at least that and more, if they say we can only offer 2 screens  then its up to distributor if they will agree to only 2 (might be ok, 2 screens but if it opens huge you have to add more). It all varys.

Then theres how many weeks your suppose to run and what are the conditions for possibility finishing before minimum run (minimum is 4 weeks but for X reason we want to finish after 3 weeks).

also with the above you have theatres that will contact distrbutors to ask to run films, so a subrun theatre might contact WB and say can we run MOS from X date for Y weeks, WB might agree or not to what is being asked (one e.g. of not agreeing is the theatre might be asking for the film to early ). There are situations where certain theatres can only run a film after certain other ones have finished.

Then there is the rental cost (% of BO payed to distributor) it varies once again anything from straight % (ie pay 45% for every week played) or sliding  scale (week1 60%, week2/3 50%, week4 45% etc, with a minimum floor which might be 35% so once you hit 35% you pay that all remaining weeks).

Then there deals like 90/10 80/20 (pay distributor 90 or 80% of the net GBO - what they call house nut, ie GBO 50k - House nut of say 25k, 25k left distibutor gets 90% of that which is 22.5k (45% of GBO)

Overseas some of the deals would make your head spin in the calculation (ie a common deal that is done in Sweden would I guarentee give you a migraine reading how its calculated it takes admissions into acount and 10 other things) and the UK fuck (but Sweden is worse)

A deal that is becoming common in some markets is based on national BO so if film  ends up earning  between A-B (say 50-60m)you pay certain sliding scale % and if it earns between C-D (61m-70m) its another set of terms etc, in that deal you initially put out expected final GBO and then have to adjust  close to end of run if the final GBO will fall into a different terms category.

these days its getting close to near all digital world, with 35mm film when a theatre took film off film would either be returned to depot and stay there (maybe go out again some future date) or returned and booked to go to another theatre straight away or the theatre that is finishing with a print circuits the print to another theatre in the same region.

In the digital world when theatre is given DCP (digital print) they need a key to unlock it that key specifys intially when and for how long theatre can run a film it can be very restrictive (down to specific time periods, only on certain screens etc) or it can be wide open

couple example

if a theatres have a preview of upcoming films say this wed,

Key might be that you can play film from 8pm tues night(test run maybe in evening before )  through midnight wed

you open film Friday for 3 weeks, key might start Thurs evening for 3 weeks, if theatre will be running film beyond 3 weeks (and it has be negiotiated that it will) another key will be issued allowing the film to play week4 onwards(extention maybe just a week maybe two etc)

Key can be screen restrictive as well, i.e. screen this wednesday preview but only on Screen3. so if you try and say play film on screen 5 you can't

digital theatre screens are completely auditable, you can get pulled from server anything you want pertaining to when film played what screens sessions etc, If you want to check if  theatre violate screening policy.

theatres sometimes (no a lot) think they own the films and can do what they want.

Edited by Rth
  • Like 19

That was a very informative post. Any way posts can be saved on this forum?? Good explanation of how studios get a cut of the box office which is by far the most asked question on this forum. So unless rental cost is straight %, late legs are better for theaters and early income is better for the studios.

Well there's this small thing between us, keeping us apart.  She has no idea who I am and probably never will.   :)

LOL it will be funny if she is at that wrap party you're going to. You never know who you will run into.

LOL it will be funny if she is at that wrap party you're going to. You never know who you will run into.

I'm also a nobody and compared to the Hollywood dudes she dates, I'm not nearly as good looking.  It's just a fantasy boys and girls.  Nothing more.  :)