RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers

Elysium, Gravity, Transcendence, Jupiter Ascending, Interstellar and Tomorrowland all say hello and would like you not to dismiss them so early.

studios need to learn not to splash down $190M budgets for original sci-fi movies

• Like 1

IMO IM2 is borderline bad, while MoS is bad but there were hopes to a better film in the sequel until Batman was announced to have a vs. film with him. IM3 is the best of the Iron Man series and ASM albeit it's flawed, it's a great reboot and the best Spider-Man I've seen in the big screen. 

Actually I was frustrated that the filmmakers behind IM2 dropped the ball. IM2 has the best villain (Rourke is great in it), the best second fiddle villain in Hammer, the best suit-up scene (the race track attack), the best...OK you get the point. They waste it with a burger place meeting with Nick Fury..? The whole scene where RDJ trying to invent an element? Scarlet and her perfectly salooned hair? Hammer hawking his toys? Where they should focus on Whiplash and his conflict with Tony. 

Actually this is a big opening considering the trailer has left me cold...

It's not a bad number, just too bad it couldn't get to those high numbers that were being thrown out there the past 7 days.

Also, considering this was our best shot at one last big movie until November, well, it's all downhill from here. Too bad this last hill couldn't have been a little higher and little more fun.

I like the tone of MoS, they got it right. But I think the story is unnecessarily complex for multiplex audience and too "scifi" to swallow (the whole Krypton thing, the genesis chamber etc). Superman drowning in skull, LOL, one kid was crying at a showing I was in. Another left with his parents: "Noo, I don't want to see this.."  :D

Skull with genoms and Genesis Chamber were :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Olympus Has Fallen, Now You See Me, This is The End, The Heat and now The Conjuring - it's always nice when smaller films are doing so well.

Especially 3 out of the 5 are not comedies. Good to see R-Rated non-comedies doing well.

Skull with genoms and Genesis Chamber were :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, having said that, Cavill is great as Supe, the visual style is pretty impressive. They just need better story, dialogues. A more streamlined story. I think their approach to the myth is refreshing & any hardcore scifi fans would understand what the filmmakers trying to get at. But to GA, they want to see something more, ehm, down-to-Earth. Kinda difficult when Supe is an alien. and this is an origin story. Before you laugh, try telling it in a different way, more creatively. You will see it is a big challenge to write/visualize a difficult concept. How would you do it?

Why? It needs half that to be a success.

Well, studios spent 570M (official production budgets) on Oblivion, After Earth, RIPD and Pacific Rim and those movies won't even cross 300M together in North America. If Elysium would only make 100M I think it would be fair to say studios spent a lot of money on 'original' sci-fi movies and it didn't work.

And yes I know RIPD is based on some comic book but I don't think it had a lot of fans.

Nor NYSM with $70M budget. 

OHF has DIE HARD5-level budget

without a big name (well, biggish)

movie star like Bruce Willis.

Well, Louie would tell you it's very complicated to make 60-90M movies. ;)

Well, studios spent 570M (official production budgets) on Oblivion, After Earth, RIPD and Pacific Rim and those movies won't even cross 300M together in North America. If Elysium would only make 100M I think it would be fair to say studios spent a lot of money on 'original' sci-fi movies and it didn't work.

And yes I know RIPD is based on some comic book but I don't think it had a lot of fans.

This is almost like somebody is saying: Don't waste your money on original ideas.

It's very depressing.

Well, having said that, Cavill is great as Supe, the visual style is pretty impressive. They just need better story, dialogues. A more streamlined story. I think their approach to the myth is refreshing & any hardcore scifi fans would understand what the filmmakers trying to get at. But to GA, they want to see something more, ehm, down-to-Earth. Kinda difficult when Supe is an alien. and this is an origin story. Before you laugh, try telling it in a different way, more creatively. You will see it is a big challenge to write/visualize a difficult concept. How would you do it?

Cavill was great, period. Dialog was proposerously ponderous and pretentious. The story AND SFX needed to be steamlined. Too much was going on in every scene and the movie was so fuckin noisy and loud I went numb and tuned out in the last half and hour or so. Which is a shame cause I really felt for Clark.

Edited by fishnets

This is almost like somebody is saying: Don't waste your money on original ideas.

It's very depressing.

Well, all those movies were very bad. Yes, I didn't like Pacififc Rim.