Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

So a 180 crore opening week translates to roughly ~275 crores gross (35% Entertainment Tax, someone correct me if they have a more accurate breakdown).  With the current exchange rate, that's a $44.5M Domestic Opening Week.  Then we're looking at ~$15M from overseas markets, so a $60M WW opening week.

Edited by spizzer

$100M worldwide seems like a done deal now.  We're looking at a 325-350 crore finish in India right now, which is 500-540 crores gross.  That's $80-90M from India alone, and we're looking at ~$15M from overseas in the opening week alone, so a $25-30M finish at the least, likely larger.  

Edited by spizzer

$100M worldwide seems like a done deal now.  We're looking at a 325-350 crore finish in India right now, which is 500-540 crores gross.  That's $80-90M from India alone, and we're looking at ~$15M from overseas in the opening week alone, so a $25-30M finish at the least, likely larger.  

Exchange rate has gone to hell or it would've done close to 150M dollars.

• Like 1

This year Chennai Express, Krrish 3, Dhoom 3 and Grand Masti have shown that the taste of audiences and the critics (especially the "critics" on twitter like The Vigil Idiot) diverge significantly. Audiences are just looking for a movie to entertain them for 3 hours, nothing more nothing less.

That said, I would have loved to have seen at least one heist scene in Dhoom 3. We are shown pre-heist and post-heist but denied the actual robbery.

Edited by grim22

Looking through US grosses.  KANK, K3G (only 44 theaters), adjust to ~4M, in line with MNIK.  OSO adjusts to about 4.2M.  JA about 3.9M.  3 Idiots ~7M.  So we're definitely seeing an expansion this year.  Before, nothing outside of SRK films would be touching these kinds of figures.  JA broke out in 08 and 3 Idiots in a huge way in 09, but this year, even SRK bucked his 3-4M range with CE, and Ranbir/Deepika managed to touch 4M as well as well as Barfi hitting 3M last year. Now we've got D3 looking at a total north of 10M.  Makes you wonder what the US capacity is at the moment. 

Just watched D3!  :) Not Aamir's best, but still it's way better than CE & K3! 

"Bande hain hum uske Humpe kiska zor Ummedon ke sooraj Nikle chaaron ore Iraadein hain fauladi Himmati har kadam Apne haathon kismat likhne Aaj chale hain hum"

Edited by Emirazza

Dhoom 3 To Be Highest All Time Grosser In Ten Days

Thursday 25th December 2013 10.30 IST

Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network

Dhoom 3 will become the highest grossing Hindi film ever in just ten days. The highest grossing Hindi film till date is Chennai Express at 208 crore nett and the way Dhoom 3 is going this figure will be breached at the end of business on Sunday.

The film has already grossed around 160 crore nett in six days and next four days should see business of at least 50 crore nett even in worst case scenario.

Chennai Express took 21 days to become the highest grosser ever while the earlier highest all time grossers 3 Idiots and Ghajini managed the feat in a similar time to Dhoom 3. Both films took around 10-11 days. The distributor share of the film will be second or third highest ever in just seven days.

Edited by spizzer

So a 180 crore opening week translates to roughly ~275 crores gross (35% Entertainment Tax, someone correct me if they have a more accurate breakdown).  With the current exchange rate, that's a $44.5M Domestic Opening Week.  Then we're looking at ~$15M from overseas markets, so a $60M WW opening week.

Entertainment tax is close to 30% for all India (varies depending on which regions are performing stronger for which film). I was presuming it to be close to 35% till now but I made a fresh calculation and got this result. And this 30% multiplied to nett collections gives the total tax, so gross collection for 180 crore nett would be = 180 + 180*30% = 234 crore.

• Like 1

Jodha Akabar was a good film however I think I liked it as it was done in the old school way.

Nice history movie with solid acting. 

I think that was the film that made Hitrick Roshan seen as a serious actor. 

Yeah big films like Dhoom 3 will end up making a lot these days. We will likely have all time record go down every year now. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Jodha Akabar was a good film however I think I liked it as it was done in the old school way.

Nice history movie with solid acting. 

I think that was the film that made Hitrick Roshan seen as a serious actor. 

Yeah big films like Dhoom 3 will end up making a lot these days. We will likely have all time record go down every year now. 

Yeah the last few years the inflation of ticket prices in multiplexes have been astounding. Especially in the metros.

"Dhoom 3" grosses $58 million in first week | http://on.variety.com/1jQ1sRY 

Distributor and producer Yash Raj Films confirmed that the crime action thriller grossed $40.95 million (INR2.46 billion) in India and a further $17.02 million in overseas markets, in the week since its release.

The overseas total includes $5.76 million in North America, $2.49 million in the U.K., $4.29 million in the Middle East and Gulf states (six days), $1.396 million in Australia and $1.71 million in Pakistan. All were the highest opening week ever for an Indian film, according to YRF.

• Like 1

"Dhoom 3" grosses $58 million in first week | http://on.variety.com/1jQ1sRY 

Distributor and producer Yash Raj Films confirmed that the crime action thriller grossed $40.95 million (INR2.46 billion) in India and a further $17.02 million in overseas markets, in the week since its release.

The overseas total includes $5.76 million in North America, $2.49 million in the U.K., $4.29 million in the Middle East and Gulf states (six days), $1.396 million in Australia and $1.71 million in Pakistan. All were the highest opening week ever for an Indian film, according to YRF.

Considering the reports from distributors as reported by BOI and KRK, they said that Dhoom 3 has Nett collections of 183 or so in India (low end of the figures), so adding entertainment tax back in, we will get: 241Cr. So YRF is reporting 246 (which admittedly is 2% in entertainment tax which we don't have exact figures for), which means that the figures are probably as genuine as possible in Bollywood.

At least this time there is no ridiculous analysts vs producer problems like Krrish3 had.

• Like 1