Fancyarcher

Most Unnecessary Sequels?

Recently being on the Best Man Holiday forum got to me thinking, you know most sequels are unnecessary but what exactly makes a sequel unnecessary, the sequels to the original Star Wars aren’t unnecessary because George Lucas planned a trilogy from the get-go.

From my perspective, a sequel is unnecessary when the studio demands it, and not the director or the scriptwriter themselves, only because the first made so much money. Sequels generally have the half of the charm of the original, and tend to suck more often than not.

Also in name only sequels don’t count.

Some of my choices include,

Growns Up 2,

All of the American Pie DTD sequels,

The Hangover 2 and 3,

A Good Day to Die Hard,

Blue Brothers 2000,

Son of the Mask,

Caddyshack II.

How bout you guys. List some sequels you find to be completely unnecessary.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions.

The Star Wars Prequels.

Agreed about 100% about the Matrix sequels. The first one ended on a good note; there was really no reason for them to do a sequel, let again two (again the only reason they did it was because the first one was a surprise hit).

Kinda iffy on the Star Wars prequels though. On the one hand they were unnecessary, because we didn’t really to explore how Anakin became Vadar, on the other hand as not so great as they were, Lucas still planned them for over a decade, so in the story sense so they weren’t totally unnecessary.

few sequels are necessary, but some are more unnecessary than others. star wars has a universe where there are many more stories to tell, whereas jaws was just a story. jaws 2 could be the best movie ever but it would still be entirely 'unnecessary' in that sense.

i don't think a sequel being unnecessary necessarily forebodes bad quality...not in the slightest.

Edited by lisa

Agreed about 100% about the Matrix sequels. The first one ended on a good note; there was really no reason for them to do a sequel, let again two (again the only reason they did it was because the first one was a surprise hit).

Kinda iffy on the Star Wars prequels though. On the one hand they were unnecessary, because we didn’t really to explore how Anakin became Vadar, on the other hand as not so great as they were, Lucas still planned them for over a decade, so in the story sense so they weren’t totally unnecessary.

In that case, Godfather 2, ESB, Aliens, Terminator 2, The Dark Knight are all unnecessary cause they all ended on a good note.

You know what? No sequels were unnecessary untill they flopped at the boxoffice and failed at the reception.

• Like 1

few sequels are necessary, but some are more unnecessary than others. star wars has a universe where there are many more stories to tell, whereas jaws was just a story. jaws 2 could be the best movie ever but it would still be entirely 'unnecessary' in that sense.

i don't think a sequel being unnecessary necessarily forebodes bad quality...not in the slightest.

Obviously. I just think that the best sequels are generally the one’s to movies that were originally intended to have sequels, as long as their box office was good.

Superhero movies are probably the best examples in that regard.

I’d rather see a Pacific Rim sequel because Del-Toro has ideas for one, then see another soulless Hangover movie that’s only being made because Todd Phillips and Co want to get a quick buck, and not because they want to further the franchise.

• Like 1

In that case, Godfather 2, ESB, Aliens, Terminator 2, The Dark Knight are all unnecessary cause they all ended on a good note.

You know what? No sequels were unnecessary untill they flopped at the boxoffice and failed at the reception.

All of those movies you listed were sequels anyway.

This thread is simply me asking you people's opinion about which sequels you thought were simply crash grabs, and not made because the people behind them wanted to further their franchise and story.

And the Empire Strikes Back didn’t exactly end on a good note because there were still some plots left dangling.

Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions.

The Star Wars Prequels.

I've never watched the Matrix sequels although my dad has them due to not wanting to 'taint' the first one which is pretty perfect by itself. In that sense the sequels are completely unnecessary to me.

I almost always hate the sequels to great self-contained movies. During the last decade's dvd boom, it seems like pretty much every successful teen-aimed movie got some crappy cheap sequels tainting the originals like Cruel Intentions, Mean Girls, Bring It On etc. 

Recently being on the Best Man Holiday forum got to me thinking, you know most sequels are unnecessary but what exactly makes a sequel unnecessary, the sequels to the original Star Wars aren’t unnecessary because George Lucas planned a trilogy from the get-go.

From my perspective, a sequel is unnecessary when the studio demands it, and not the director or the scriptwriter themselves, only because the first made so much money. Sequels generally have the half of the charm of the original, and tend to suck more often than not.

Also in name only sequels don’t count.

Some of my choices include,

Growns Up 2,

All of the American Pie DTD sequels,

The Hangover 2 and 3,

A Good Day to Die Hard,

Blue Brothers 2000,

Son of the Mask,

Caddyshack II.

How bout you guys. List some sequels you find to be completely unnecessary.

What happened to Cars 2?